The Columbian Wyandotte Fanclub

@NanaKat Do you show your birds? Do you sell hatching eggs or chicks ever?
To show one‘s birds you must be NPIP tested. I received my NPIP certificate Jan 2020 and I have only started to show my birds. Last December I entered 13 birds in a show in my state. I was the only person who entered Columbian Wyandotte even though there were birds from several surrounding states. So I competed against myself. The placings were very helpful by showing me which were the better birds among my entries.
I was able to visit with the judge one on one for about 15 minutes and got a world of great information.
I have sold birds and eggs in the past. Some states are very strict about eggs and birds coming into their state.

Last edited:
Hello! It is nice to see interest growing for a breed of chickens I really love.

Columbian Wyandotte were first exhibited in 1893 at the Columbian Exposition (World’s Fair). The color variety came from breeding a White Wyandotte and a Barred Plymouth Rock.
The Columbian Wyandotte description was added to the Standard in 1905. This makes them a Heritage breed.

I’ve been raising Columbian Wyandotte for 11 years.
I enjoy them not only for their beautiful appearance but for their dual purpose as egg and meat birds. The hens make wonderful mothers and the roosters are good protectors of their flock.
This year I have a few over 100.
Here are a few photos of my birds as they leave the barn to begin a day of free ranging.View attachment 2628773View attachment 2628774View attachment 2628776
They are so pretty!!!!!😍😍

Some updated pictures!! Max is so handsome!!

20210512_161217.jpg
20210512_161119.jpg
20210511_171831.jpg

Max
Max had grown!
Photo 1. From the side...nice wing set and there is a nice crisp white edge to the primary wing feathers. Great color on his legs. He is stretching his neck forward and raising his tail so hard to judge Max’s silhouette. Nice lacing on his cape and saddle.

Photo 2. Nicely shaped head. The ears are clean, good red on the comb and wattles. The saddle feather edging is good. The rear fluff has some shafting...this means that the feather spine is white when it should be dark. The down is the correct slate color.

Photo 3. Max is very alert. His eye color is bright and the color is correct.. The comb looks like a nice texture and follows the skull. It doesn’t appear to have any flaws. The chest feathers below the cape should be white. These appear to have both shafting and mooning...a black tip. There is Silver Laced color history in the Columbian breed lines when the breed was developed.

Photo 4. Nice broad chest and back. In the next six months Max will begin to put on weight and fill out. His tail should get much more full and will hopefully show a nice slope from his middle back to the tail base.

Bred to the pullets you should get some nice type and more clear color on the breast/chest feathering. Max will Be a lovely rooster for your flock.

@NanaKat

A couple of questions...

First off, what are you currently working to improve on your CWs?

Also, I might do 4H next year, and try to show a chicken or more. Do I have to be NPIP certified for that? Is it free?

@NanaKat

A couple of questions...

First off, what are you currently working to improve on your CWs?

Also, I might do 4H next year, and try to show a chicken or more. Do I have to be NPIP certified for that? Is it free?
Your first question.
I have three pens set up with breeders...numbered Pen 4, Pen 3 and Pen 2. Pen 1 has all the extra roosters.
Pen 4 has the top show rooster with 6 hens. Three of the hens are show. The other three have bigger size and good combs, wings and tails, and nice heads. I’m working on increasing size and maintaining good show standards.

Pen 3 also has a show rooster and 6 hens (three are last year pullets). All these hens are are 1/2 siblings to the rooster and have very good shape, wing set, combs and good color pattern with differing levels of white edging. Hoping to improve color with the chicks.

Pen 2 is set up following the suggestions from the judge last December. These are crazy mixes of color with a very darkly marked rooster With good silhouette and body type. There are seven hens that have markings that are either too light or too dark, but who have great silhouette, combs, leg color, wing set, body type and nice heads. The hope is to capture the color pattern.

Your second question about 4H and NPIP ... each state has regulations defining the essentials for showing for 4H. Some require NPIP certification, some require testing documented by a vet or a qualified tester. You can contact your State Department of Agriculture to find those regulations. Your 4H program should have that information too.
There are several very good threads here on BYC for how to prepare your birds for show including conditioning, training, bathing, and handling your birds.

Twix and Lucy are growing into lovely hens with nice wide heads. They both are showing good structure as well as good combs and leg color. Wing set is correct on both girls.
Twix has better color and a nice back line. She is wide from cape to tail. Her tail lacing is very nice. Her cape is nicely feathered. Her wing feathers are showing a nice white edge. The primary feathers should have the nice edge on a black feather. Still, she could easily throw nicely marked chicks.
Lucy is lighter in her cape, tail and wing but should still offer nicely colored chicks.

Max is still growing! His head and face are very manly. The

Back
Top Bottom