The Cool Texas Melon Board

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cock-L-Doodle Garoo, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Cock-L-Doodle Garoo

Cock-L-Doodle Garoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    Well after 50+ days this year of 100 degrees or more here in Texas, I have only lost one bird. I almost lost her last year and she did never seem quite right since. It's the shade...the fresh water daily...and the ice Cool Texas Melon Board in the evening that's help. They tear it up in just a few minutes.

Good news...The heat suppose to break in a couple of days...It's only going to get up to 93 Monday.

REMEMBER AND SUPPORT OUR OVERSEAS TROOPS PLEASE!!!

The stage is set...

[​IMG]

The party begins....

[​IMG]

And it's over in a few minutes...

[​IMG]

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    You have a good looking flock there! Thanks for sharing the fun....[​IMG]

3. Carter57

Carter57 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    I like the idea of sticking to a board. That would keep it clean and keep one from running off with the whole piece.

4. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    I love this, the photos are nice. I had to show my husband. We're here in Austin and yup, it's been a hot one. I take ice out and frozen bottle of ice as well. Melon does NOT last long. We will very often give them a big bowl of chopped up greens: collard, mustard, turnip, what have you. Stay cool!

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Cock-L-Doodle,

Nice sequence pictures----Yep, only a few more days and we will cool off to the high 90's. Can't wait.

6. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Day before yesterday we woke up(6AM) to 80 degrees here on the island... right now (midnight) it's 75. This is a welcome sight. We haven't seen anything below 85 at night since May!

7. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    cool! haha and yes it gets hot O:

8. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I use a board for all my treats but I love the large nails to hold them in place. I'm going to show hubby right now his next thing for my chickens [​IMG] He loves my chickens or so I keep telling him [​IMG]

9. kitkatnoah

kitkatnoah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Oh, I love this idea! I give my flock watermelon, when it's hot out, and they often overturn the melons to where the rind is facing up, then they give up and walk off. Thank you for the wonderful idea! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by