The Coop Experience: Photos of Our Coop-Building Process

wsdareme

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Yelm, WA
We have finished our coop to the point that The Girls now have occupancy (along with 15 chicks in the brooder). We still have some work to do -- expanding the run when we eliminate the bees nest in the other half of the dog kennel, installing the nesting boxes (not needed for another month), adding the "fancy window", and sealing everything from top to bottom with hardward cloth to make it absolutely predator-proof.

But, please take a look and feel free to comment. I did a lot of research on BYC and solicited a fair amount of input from fellow BYCers to come up with the design we have. I must note that there was SUPPOSED to be an interior storage room. However, due to my DH accepting a "donation" of a dozen extra EE chicks from his boss, the storage room was sacrificed for more floor space for The Girls.

Please check out my page at https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=50766-the-chicken-experience to find lots of pictures of the process.

Again, thanks to all of the great BYCers that contributed to the design of our coop!
D.gif

Last edited:
big_smile.png
I love it! You did a good job with this coop, my DH and I are almost finished with ours, and your page reminded me of the many unplanned adventures building our coop
lol.png
youre right, its a challenge thinking of ways to use pieces of lumber and leftover wire. One of these days Ill have to post the pics of the process too. Enjoy those chicks and btw, I too like to go and sit in the run with the chickens, most of my friends do the same so dont feel silly!
thumbsup.gif

It looks awesome!!!!
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
clap.gif
bow.gif
Love the great finds and reuses. It helps money wise alot when you can reuse even a fraction of the materials. Whew!

Those are some beautiful chickens - I love an ecclectic pet flock - just beautiful with all the breeds, colors, sizes, shapes
wink.png

Good job, good luck in the future and just enjoy 'em!

Love your coop and your narration of what is/was going on. You and your dh are so handy. That fancy window was such a great find - to think the chickens get it and not you. I hope they realize the sacrifices you made and remember to payback with loads of eggs. Hope you will enter your coop in the next contest. You could handle the bees several ways, night is best when they are in the hive and quiet. Also if your night temps drop they would be more sluggish. I think I would use a stealth attack - sneak out with a big tarp and gently cover the nest as much as possible - then release a bug bomb and run like hell. My experience has been with yellow jackets but I would imagine they will work as well with bees.

I understand foam fire extinquishers work well too. Even better = maybe you could find a farmer or person who keeps bees, and they would be glad to come and take them off your hands.

Please keep updating on your coop, run etc. Very interesting and informative - you have some mighty lucky chickens.

Back
Top Bottom