The coop I am actually getting !

hcammack

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Vermont
I am getting cedar groves 6x4 coop on monday the other coop did not work out I have also built two PVC runs that will rotate. I may also but wheels on the coop is there a good way to do this? as everyone who has looked over my coop thread before knows this went through many stages but it looks like it is working out
big_smile.png

any ideas for how to put wheels so the whole set up can move?

Here is the coop:
http://www.cedargroveproducts.com/products/pet-structures/chicken/index.php

And here are the runs I built w/ the current tractor set up?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=64073

Henry

Last edited:
Henry,

I think that the chances are pretty good that it is too heavy to move except with a lawn tractor, so I hope you have a good one
smile.png

I'd bolt skids onto the legs -- you might be able to get away with just two 6' long ones, or you might need 4' crosspieces as well for structural stability, you'd just have to see how it goes.

If you don't mind scraping up the lawn, you could just drag it on the skids. Round or angle the ends of the skids so they don't catch on bumps.

OTOH you could put wheels on it for slightly easier moving -- HOWEVER with that weight you may well need larger-diameter and larger-width wheels than the lawnmower wheels most people use. For lighter structures, you'd just get lawnmower wheels (from hardware store) and for each one you use a bolt of appropriate diameter as the axle. Drill hole for bolt thru bottom frame, put bolt thru (with appropriate washers, like a fender washer), put another washer so wheel doesn't bind against wood, *another* fender washer, then screw a nut on to keep it all in place. (Lockwasher too, if you want).

But I truly think you will need a lawn tractor and will not be moving it alllll that often.

P.S. have you looked at whether it provides enough roost space or are you planning on adding more?

Good luck,

Pat

it ways 300 lbs it does not have to be movable but that would be great
big_smile.png
maybe later in the summer I can try these ideas when I get home.

Henry

I don't have a lawn tractor but I can lift at least 200 pounds and my current "tractor" is alsmost 300 I think
sad.png
thats why I am getting rid of it so skids or huge wheels are the way to go huh? I guess I will wait till I get it and then decided or work on it at the end of the summer.

Henry

Pat It does have about enough roost space and if not I will add more right now they don't have enough so some sleep on the ground
sad.png
but I have plenty of board of PVC or tree branches to make a roost from. It has much more verticle space then the tractor does so we should be ok.

Henry

LOL thanks I think it looks good to my mom just did not like my setup and I felt I should make it more secure + I wanted to be in debt to my parents for a really long time
lol.png
it will be about 8 months before I pay this one off.

Henry

Back
Top Bottom