The "crazy easy" boiling method cracks my eggs!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by damselfish, Aug 8, 2010.

1. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I've been using the crazy easy method from the older thread for about four months now. Consistently, I lose about 25% of the eggs to cracking (sometimes full-on rupture with egg exploding out the end into the pot!).

I'm lowering them oh-so-carefully into the pot, using a skimmer. I'm talking probably a careful 15 seconds just to lower a single egg. And still, they crack in the middle of the cooking process.

Does anybody have any ideas??

It's still a definite improvement over my old method which resulted in a zero percent beautiful egg success rate, but it's frustrating.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    It cracks a alot of my eggs too...
    Not sure why..
    Maybe cause i'm taking them out of the fridge and putting them in boiling water?

3. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    I do all mine in my electric steamer. Never thought to do that till my steamer came with one of the trays having egg indentions. I just set the timer to 12-15 minutes (depending on egg size) and can forget about them...sure beats watching water & keeping track of boiling time.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I put mine in cold water. Get them boiling and then turn them off and let them sit for 12 minutes.

5. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    are you using room temperature eggs or refrigerated eggs? I'm guessing, like Redhen said, that refrigerated eggs would crack more easily because of the extreme temperature difference? I usually only crack 1 or 2 in a pot of 18 eggs when I use the crazy-easy method, using room temperature eggs.

6. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    One Acre Wonder Farm is correct, you must use room temp eggs or they will crack. I've been using this method since I read about it over a year ago and I very rarely get a cracked egg.

7. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Thank you all so much, I will set the next batch out to warm up before trying it again. Will report back.

8. grandads

grandads Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    I also steam my eggs. shell comes off so much easier.

9. mmpb1

mmpb1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2010
    Texas
    Usually, I don't boil more than a dozen at a time. They are put in a pan with cold water that covers them with lid on and heated on high until the water comes to a boil. Heat is cut off and let the eggs sit for 15-20 minutes. Drain water (keep that for house plants), add cold water and shake the pan to break the shells. More cool water and the shells come off easily. No green, rubbery yolks.
    Margie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by