The Cream Brown Variety

Clark,

The Eslin Red Quill is a specific line of American Games (large fowl) that were derived from a line of Old English large fowl games imported from the Eslin Family of Great Britain. I believe they are a Birchen-based (they are said to have "black eyes") gamefowl that carries both the Db and Pg genes. I thought I had a pair, but I don't. These probably have Eslin lines in them, but appear to be a wild-type based and are clearly more of an American Game type that Old English.

Anyhow, they are beautiful birds. Some will also come with the beautiful bronze tails like the Pumpkins, others will have red penciling on their sickle feathers similar to that of the golden pencilled Hamburgs, which others will have black tails - it seems to be somewhat random. If they were throw-ins, though, their quality may be suspect. You can try working with them for a few generations, but you might be better off just finding some quality birds to start with instead. If you live in Texas, try googling Frank Myer. He has some good ones, although he makes no claims that they are "Eslin".

So, M,

Any reason a Ginger Silver line couldn't be stabilized, even if a Cream Brown variety could not? The silver hackles and saddles are still quite striking draped over the ginger body in the manner of an American Game Bantam.

In general, I find that the games are less human-aggressive than your typical utility or meat breed. I've had to deal with a human-aggressive Cochin (a "bonus" chick from our first batch of hatchery chicks) and several bantam Barnevelders, never human aggressive American Game Bantams. I've also had two large Fowl Eslin Red Quill cocks and neither has ever show the slightest sign of aggression towards me. I attribute this to the fact that all of the information I've read on cockers is that they are very intent on culling what they call "man hunters". The game standard I have identifies "Man-hunter" as a DQ. This only makes sense if one considers their potential to do some serious damage, if they were inclined, especially since they also tend to be handled significantly more than your typical meat bird, which ends up in a big pen with a bunch of other birds.

In any case, I think what we're seeing in both of our birds is probably the interaction of the Ginger genetics with the Wheaten genetics. In both cases, the males have the duckwing color pattern under most circumstances. Pumpkin Hulseys and the Rocky Top Game Farm pumpkins I've used (which I strongly suspect were created by crossing Pumpkin Hulseys with Ginger and/or Wheaten Old English Game Bantams) have so many things going on in them that you see a lot of random color patterns segregating out of them, including "Sports (splash and/or khaki)". I suspect this is because the PHs depend on heterozygous gene pairs in a number of loci to create their unusual muted ginger coloration. I don't think anyone has them figured out completely, as evidenced by the fact that Henk and Marvin don't agree on just what is going on.

I asked a few questions of one of the Australian members at the Ultimate Fowl Forum and he tells me that what I have is a "Ginger Duckwing" by his understanding. This a considerably more sensible name that "Cream Brown". To me a "Cream Brown" would be more descriptive of a "Brown Red" with the cream gene added.

I've done some additional reading on the cream gene (ig, from "inhibitor of gold") and I'm doubting it is involved. Since it would dilute all gold coloration, I don't know how you would get such strong ginger color in the body and the light golden coloration in the hackles and saddles if ig was present.

I’m looking for Eslin fowl please if u could help. [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom