The double egg dilemma

roma57

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2015
I have raised chickens for the past 9 years, we have seen large eggs, extra large eggs, double yolkers, etc. This past March we purchased 2 Americaunas, because we wanted some blue colored eggs. They are very sweet birds, one lays small light blue eggs, and the other lays sort of a camouflage green color egg. Last week there was a very large green egg in the nest. The shell was very soft, almost too soft to handle. I thought well, maybe she needs some oyster shells, which I provided. Yesterday I found the largest egg that I have ever seen in my life there was a little blood on it, and I felt sorry for the chicken. My Mom is 89 and she agreed never saw an egg that large before. I called it the mega egg! My husband and I cracked it open last night to see what was what.
Inside was a normal regular sized egg and yolk, and also another full size egg with hard shell and all. It also cracked like a normal egg. Is there something that I should do? Can I help her in some way?

Sincerely concerned.
Roma Lloyd

I've never seen it myself, but I have heard of the double shelled eggs before... I have also heard of the soft shell too... she's new to laying so it sounds like she's just trying To work out her system. Weird eggs are common when they are just starting out.

This is one of the less common but still not unheard of oddities that can occur in production. There is nothing to "do" beyondg basic good management

I've never seen it myself, but I have heard of the double shelled eggs before... I have also heard of the soft shell too... she's new to laying so it sounds like she's just trying To work out her system. Weird eggs are common when they are just starting out.
OK thanks for responding. Good to know

This is one of the less common but still not unheard of oddities that can occur in production. There is nothing to "do" beyondg basic good management
Thank you. I will treat her like all of rest of my girls. The egg was sooo large I really felt sorry her.

Back
Top Bottom