The Dreaded...Silkie Sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kherokee, Jan 16, 2016.

1. kherokee

kherokee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2014
    Connecticut
    I went to a poultry congress today and my own mother decided to bring me a silkie rooster and baby chick during my chicken show. She fell in love instantly with this baby and I'd love to know what you guys think! (S)he's about 12 weeks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks more like 6 to 8 weeks old, it's still feathering in around the face. Nothing screaming cockerel yet, but silkies can be very difficult to sex right up until they lay or crow.

1 person likes this.
  3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    x2, its way too young to tell which gender it is.

1 person likes this.
  4. kherokee

Nov 4, 2014
    Connecticut
    Yes I was told 12 weeks but (s)he for sure looks about 6-8 weeks. @howfunkyisurchicken @junebuggena

(S)he likes to peck my hands when I go to pet her but enjoys sleeping on my head or between my arms! I wish I bought her in a pair but for now she's my little cuddlebug.
    [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'd post new photos in about 6-8 weeks - showing a front view of the comb. They are nice looking chicks.

6. kherokee

Nov 4, 2014
    Connecticut
    So I think at this point he/she is 12 weeks, but i'm not positive since the woman gave me the wrong age in the beginning - but (s)he's filling out and growing into a mommas baby personality!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far, I dont see much of a comb or waddle and her little top hat is growing in afro-like. Personality wise she seems very pullet like compared to all Silkie roosters ive owned in the past but of course Silkies are oddballs.

(Im considering DNA testing her feathers! & yes she sleeps in my room don't judge! [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by