The Duck Thread

Sad day here. Found one of my Pekin girls dead
hit.gif
this morning when I went to let everyone out of the night pen. She was 3 years old. No apparent cause of death. She was just laid out belly down, head forward and feet out behind her
hit.gif
hit.gif
Sorry to hear that! Was she laying eggs recently?

Yes, this is her. In the top picture it is the one flapping her wings(left wing is the angel wing), the next one you can see her standing, you are looking at the wing that I repaired and on the last picture this is her walking she is in the back row on the left. I can't believe it did so well! I was certain that we would take off the bandage and a LOT of feathers would be catty wompus! I wasn't sure how well I bandaged it with all her screaming and jumping around! I am thrilled!
They look great!
thumbsup.gif

HEEHEE. Yes. It's a joke. We came up with finch muscovie because I own 2 zebra finches. Don't own ducks but love ducks so much so in a silly way, to make me feel as though I was a duck owner we came up with mini muscovie finches cuz muscovies are the only domestic duck that roost up higher than a mallard pet duck and my burds fly and roost up high when I let them free range in my downstairs area.
You had me going! I thought there was a new kind of bird I hadn't heard of! LOL You guys are going to kill me!!!!

JulieBird, how on earth did you tame those little burds? My canaries won't even let me change their cages without having a freak attack. My parrots are little more tamed but still....

What do you all use in your duck runs on the ground? Our run used to be for the chickens and the ground is pretty dug up. We have a 1/3 of it blocked off to let the grass grow back (we planted it early last fall) and i have pebbles around the pool area, but i am not sure what to use to keep the rest of it from being a mud hole. Does any one use sand, or are the small pebbles ok for a large area?

Hi i know this is an old thread but i use bark chippings. Saves the boggy mess when it rains but does eventually mulch into the ground so needs topping up regularly. Ive only got 4 ducks so lasts a while. Every so often i rake the ground over so the duck poop looks better!

I have 6 sweedish ducks and I'm not sure how many males and females they are 6 weeks old and some are quacking so i should know soon. My question is 3 of them are larger so I have a feeling I might end up with more then one male if this happens will I need to get more females. There new feathers are a green tint is that an indication of a male or is that something all sweedish ducks have.

Last edited:
Went out to duck nest a few hrs ago I saw one cracking open. Went out there now and saw it floating the egg in pool. There was no life in water or around them. The egg had yolk in it some was able to grab two eggs she allowed me to touch. I didn't see vains in it or any thing moving. I drew lines on it out lines I saw. Marked it 1-2 with a pencil. But I did see ants in nest again. I will lay ditmacious earth soon as partner comes home . So he can hold snowflake and hope. So I don't get bit.

Back
Top Bottom