The Duck Thread

Ask away!

This thread is far from dead... :confused:

It is alive with enthusiasm over extremely cute burds and fun people.

Sorry all when I first posted the last comment showing looked like it said 2013 lol. I thought it was strange it died so long ago but had so many comments lol. I think my brain is a bit fogged up from lack of sleep lol.. :p
So my question was I have 8, 3 week old ducklings still in the brooder and 3, 13 week old ducks in a pen outside. I want them to be together but I'm unsure of how to introduce them when I'm done brooding my babies. Any suggestions or tips. This will be my first time integrating ducks although I've done it alot with chickens.. thanks. :)

Last edited:
Sorry all when I first posted the last comment showing looked like it said 2013 lol. I thought it was strange it died so long ago but had so many comments lol. I think my brain is a bit fogged up from lack of sleep lol.. :p
So my question was I have 8, 3 week old ducklings still in the brooder and 3, 13 week old ducks in a pen outside. I want them to be together but I'm unsure of how to introduce them when I'm done brooding my babies. Any suggestions or tips. This will be my first time integrating ducks although I've done it alot with chickens.. thanks. :)

I think you were looking at the 1st post of the thread, lol...

Integrating younger ducks is fairly simple, usually... set up a separate are so the can all see and hear each other but not reach to bite or injure... give them plenty of time to get used to each other before allowing free time together... I generally prefer to introduce (the free time part) outside of the ducks pen in free range area... causes less squabbles and territory claims...

I think you were looking at the 1st post of the thread, lol...

Integrating younger ducks is fairly simple, usually... set up a separate are so the can all see and hear each other but not reach to bite or injure... give them plenty of time to get used to each other before allowing free time together... I generally prefer to introduce (the free time part) outside of the ducks pen in free range area... causes less squabbles and territory claims...

Do I need to wait until they are the same size and does gender play a role at all?

Do I need to wait until they are the same size and does gender play a role at all?

At least close to same size is best... I hear drakes can be a bit of a pain, but in mine it's the ducks that tend to throw down with each other more, lol... and my flock is odd, I have more issues with the ducklings bullying the bigger ducks, lol...

If temps outside are close to brooder temp, they can start spending the days outside in a secure play area...

Ok thanks RavynFallen. :) I'll be happy to have them outside as you know the water mess the little ones can make. Today they are going to take their first swim in the bathtub. Can't wait to watch them torpedo across the tub lol. We are having 90 degree temps outside now so they should be good to go outside a bit. :)

Ok thanks RavynFallen. :) I'll be happy to have them outside as you know the water mess the little ones can make. Today they are going to take their first swim in the bathtub. Can't wait to watch them torpedo across the tub lol. We are having 90 degree temps outside now so they should be good to go outside a bit. :)

Yep, sounds like it's warm enough... just watch that they are stuck in sun the whole spot... lots of shade... :)

Back
Top Bottom