The Duck Thread

I remember Tarzan. That was on Saturdays for me. We lived in Leesburg VA at that time, Kennedy and Nixon were about to debate. Our very first TV was a tall cabinet model. The screen was flat on the top and bottom with rounded sides, probably something like 12-15 inches. Black and white. Someone sold a thing you could put over the screen to make color. All it did was mess up the picture and have a sort of prism of colors but we fell for it and bought one. The TV was tubes and could be used to heat the room in the winter.

But, even further back than that, living in the "boonies" with little electricity and no money to speak of I recall going to someone's house where we would all sit around the front porch (lots of neighbors) and "watch" the radio on a Saturday night. Also, the very first movie I ever went to was a re-release of Gone With The Wind at the Tally Ho theater in Leesburg VA. Adults admission was a quarter and I remember there were people in line with barter to pay for their ticket.

They were certainly simpler times. Great times to be a kid but probably not so nice to be an adult, especially a single mother raising two kids.

I remember Tarzan. That was on Saturdays for me. We lived in Leesburg VA at that time, Kennedy and Nixon were about to debate. Our very first TV was a tall cabinet model. The screen was flat on the top and bottom with rounded sides, probably something like 12-15 inches. Black and white. Someone sold a thing you could put over the screen to make color. All it did was mess up the picture and have a sort of prism of colors but we fell for it and bought one. The TV was tubes and could be used to heat the room in the winter.

But, even further back than that, living in the "boonies" with little electricity and no money to speak of I recall going to someone's house where we would all sit around the front porch (lots of neighbors) and "watch" the radio on a Saturday night. Also, the very first movie I ever went to was a re-release of Gone With The Wind at the Tally Ho theater in Leesburg VA. Adults admission was a quarter and I remember there were people in line with barter to pay for their ticket.

They were certainly simpler times. Great times to be a kid but probably not so nice to be an adult, especially a single mother raising two kids.
Yes sat afternoons was Tarzan on TV and at the movies. I remember the TV's having tubes in them but don't remember them warming up the house but they probably did. Watch the radio on sat nights sounds like fun, remember chasing fire flies after dark or just playing outside I wonder if kids do that any more? Red Rover red Rover send jtn right over, or Simon says. silly games like that. were so much fun back then.
I'm sure it was a struggle for mother raising children by her self I bet she never complained either. You just did what you had to.

Going to sat afternoon matinees and seeing The Blob and being scared witless for weeks after. that movie would be hilarious now but for a young kid that was scary.

Remember how a kid could make a fort out of a hedge next to the house. Just crawl in behind it and let the imagination loose. Of course today I would no more crawl into a hedge than I would jump off a building. But, as a kid I did that too. Tied a towel around my shoulders, climbed up on the roof of the porch and jump off...like Superman. Lucky I didn't break my neck. Might explain why I have a bad back now though. On hot summer afternoons we would all walk over to a park and just sit, the kids would play...oblivious to the heat...roll around on the ground getting chigger bites and not caring a bit.

Television was rationed, what little that was being broadcast back then, radio was usually something that was on in the kitchen. Weekly trips to the Library, reading books made of paper that had a touch and feel and smell that can not be duplicated electronically. No laptops or tablets or cell phones. Phones had cords that plugged into the wall and continued to work when the power went off. You talked to a computer with cards or paper tape that had holes punched in them. A computer usually was the size of a small house and often took several floors on a college campus.

OMG, now my whole evening is going to be memories of times passed...

Yes sat afternoons was Tarzan on TV and at the movies. I remember the TV's having tubes in them but don't remember them warming up the house but they probably did. Watch the radio on sat nights sounds like fun, remember chasing fire flies after dark or just playing outside I wonder if kids do that any more? Red Rover red Rover send jtn right over, or Simon says. silly games like that. were so much fun back then.
I'm sure it was a struggle for mother raising children by her self I bet she never complained either. You just did what you had to.

Going to sat afternoon matinees and seeing The Blob and being scared witless for weeks after. that movie would be hilarious now but for a young kid that was scary.
Remember the series at the movies? A chapter a week before the main feature. Flash Gordon and the Evil Emperor Ming, Rocket Man, we went to see what happened next, who cared about the main film.

Remember how a kid could make a fort out of a hedge next to the house. Just crawl in behind it and let the imagination loose. Of course today I would no more crawl into a hedge than I would jump off a building. But, as a kid I did that too. Tied a towel around my shoulders, climbed up on the roof of the porch and jump off...like Superman. Lucky I didn't break my neck. Might explain why I have a bad back now though. On hot summer afternoons we would all walk over to a park and just sit, the kids would play...oblivious to the heat...roll around on the ground getting chigger bites and not caring a bit.

Television was rationed, what little that was being broadcast back then, radio was usually something that was on in the kitchen. Weekly trips to the Library, reading books made of paper that had a touch and feel and smell that can not be duplicated electronically. No laptops or tablets or cell phones. Phones had cords that plugged into the wall and continued to work when the power went off. You talked to a computer with cards or paper tape that had holes punched in them. A computer usually was the size of a small house and often took several floors on a college campus.

OMG, now my whole evening is going to be memories of times passed...
i hope mostly good ones jtn, But it is so much fun looking back, what about party lines remember those?I guess we should be in Random ramblings

since we're rambling randomly. Front porches where everyone gathered to talk politics oh my gosh I can remember some heated discussion while running past the adults. lol

Remember the series at the movies? A chapter a week before the main feature. Flash Gordon and the Evil Emperor Ming, Rocket Man, we went to see what happened next, who cared about the main film.
yes those were so cool. Spanky and Our Gang and the Bowery Boys. those were good shows too.

and to keep it on the duck side I have pics of when I was little and my dad took me to parks that had water fowl I blame him for my obsession.
tongue.png

i hope mostly good ones jtn, But it is so much fun looking back, what about party lines remember those?I guess we should be in Random ramblings

since we're rambling randomly. Front porches where everyone gathered to talk politics oh my gosh I can remember some heated discussion while running past the adults. lol
You are right...either that or Old Timers...So, back to ducks. Mine are protesting the heat and letting up on laying of eggs. I took the Cayugas out today to the orchard so they could feast on Grasshoppers. They were of the opinion that they really did not have to march across a three acre field since there were plenty of bugs to eat right where they were. They are funny though. They seem to be getting a lot more trusting and affectionate in the heat than they were in the winter time.

You are right...either that or Old Timers...So, back to ducks. Mine are protesting the heat and letting up on laying of eggs. I took the Cayugas out today to the orchard so they could feast on Grasshoppers. They were of the opinion that they really did not have to march across a three acre field since there were plenty of bugs to eat right where they were. They are funny though. They seem to be getting a lot more trusting and affectionate in the heat than they were in the winter time.
As long as you keep those pools filled so they can have a nice bath after eating all those grass hoppers.

Heat wave here in Tempe.. The flock will be getting treats today
@City farm - are those pickles? I see tomatoes, watermelon and greens of some sort. What else is in there? I'm sure they'll enjoy! We're going to need a heat wave here after all this darn rain.
Cucumber .. However our duck's really enjoy cooked potatoes.. A lot.. Our hen likes the banana more than Rick.. But what I found weird was, we had a lemon tree slowly dying, I would see Lauren eating the leaves that fall off.. We now give her some citrus tree leaves from our orange & pink grapefruit trees.. who knew

Back
Top Bottom