The Duck Thread

Hi everyone! I'm new here and was wondering a few things about my new baby welsh harlequin ducks I got about 2 weeks ago. They are hopefully all female and I have four of them. The main thing I was wondering is why they seem to want little to nothing to do with me. I try talking to them and handling them and playing with them while they swim but it still seems like they could care less if I was there or not. Will that change or is that just the way they are?

I got this photo from someone here on BYC.. I wish I had skills like they do..
Now to your question.. I would not bother then them while they are swimming, just enjoy them while they do it..
Make sure they do not get water logged..Do you have a stepping stones or a ladder for them to get out of? Just kep holding them & they will
start to warm up to you..we have the same thing going on here.. Our 2 that we have now are very easy to pick up.. I do like to be able to check on them if needed.. We also give them kitty kibble as a treat in the mornings.. We let them know we have a treat for them & they come running.. It is only one hand full.. They don't like it, but it's too bad.. We don't pick up our girl Lauren to much, mostly Rick.. He tries to nip at me when I am busy in the yard.. So we put in time out durring then.. He doesn't ever run away from me.. Hope this helps.. Post photos If you can..

:) it's ok. I can't wait to get them outside and see if they will follow me around! My husband keeps laughing at me because of how excited I am for that.

When ours we're younger I would let the water hose go over my foot, they would start digging in the dirt under my foot looking for bug's.. I would tap my feet & say bug's, bug's, bug's they know the differece between the word bug's & treat.. Now I need to teach them it in another language.. :frow

I was given a freshly hatched pekin duckling from my neighbor, mom wasn't looking after it, and it wasn't walking we have it in a brooder with 2 stuffed ducks, seems to be doing great on its own, up and moving great at 3 days old. I don't like raising one by itself but we already have 5 3 month old ducks,
will we be able to add this duckling to our flock when its older?
does anyone know why ducklings nibble? I make sure to give the little one lots of attention and it loves to nibble on my fingers, and face lol. Its favorite place to sleep is under my chin on my neck. I think it likes its toy duck company I always find it sleeping under ones wing
1f60a.png
but it will eagerly run to my hand when I go to get it out, first thing nibbles all over me so we will probably name him/her nibbles

Oh, I hope you do get a friend for her? It will make it easier when you integrate them.. I have never done it, just a newbie.. We will be intergrating our new muscovy's in a few months..

Thank you I wish I could post pics but I cant on my phone and we don't have a computer but our flock contains 2 female runners 1 chocolate, one black, 2 mallard females, and a black Swedish drake now our new tiny baby pekin

Oh I can't wait to see photo's.. You will need to upgrade your phone.. :yesss: our little brat's when they were younger..

Hi everyone how's it going? I am set up for some new family members on the ranch and was wandering what kind of duck to go with. I am looking for friendly and pretty. They also have a large coop and I am hoping they will be able to rome the yard so they can fallow us around and be part of the family.

Oooo, we love Saxony, appleyard, buff orpintons, silver appleyards.. But of course we only have silver Swedish & baby Muscovy's. Keep us posted
Glad you joined in...:woot

Back
Top Bottom