The Duck Thread

My duckling poop is liquidy as if it was water almost and it seems to be having trouble with balance. Another of my ducklings was flopping all over the place. Are they sick? Could it be a vitamin deficiency or from heat?

My duckling poop is liquidy as if it was water almost and it seems to be having trouble with balance. Another of my ducklings was flopping all over the place. Are they sick? Could it be a vitamin deficiency or from heat?

No clue about watery poop. But are your ducklings getting niacin? Niacin defiency can cause a duckling or gosling to lose its legs and eventually die. Brewery's yeast is an excellent source of niacin. Do not get the time release stuff. Also check your feed. Is it medicated chick starter? If so the medication is poison to geese and ducks.

I would look at niacin deficiency, and heat.

Ducklings need to be about 90˚F the first week only, dropping 5 degrees a week from there. Please check the temperature of the brooder. Also, not all brooders are identical. Depending on air flow, you could have a warmer or cooler space for them.

If it's niacin, then a tablespoon of brewer's yeast in their food (how many are there? I would go with a tablespoon per 3 ducklings) per day is what I would use.

Storey's Guide recommends 100 to 150 mg of niacin (plain, not no-flush or timed release) in each gallon of drinking water for several weeks (I am thinking 8 weeks).

Have you read the sticky on Raising Ducklings?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

So one of my hatching eggs is turning bluish purple on the side with the air sack. Whats happening? The duckling is still alive and moving

So one of my hatching eggs is turning bluish purple on the side with the air sack. Whats happening? The duckling is still alive and moving
Duckling may have hit a vein when moving. Keep an eye on it. Hopefully it's going to be alright.
fl.gif
whens hatch day?

Back
Top Bottom