The Duck Thread

So I've my ducklings from tractor supply about 6 weeks now. I knew 2 were runners and are 2 youngest are Rouen or mallard, they're 2 weeks younger but quite a bit smaller, our biggest duckling was black with a yellow chest and belly yellow tips to his wings and a hint of yellow to his face, his legs are black his feet yellow with black splotches, and a black bill. He's a lot bigger than the rest, he started feathering black and white but now his black id turning a beautiful blue green on his wings face and top of head. They guessed he was a black Swedish when I picked him. Is it possible he's a blue Swedish instead or a different breed? They don't have a lot of feathers yet just here and there. I'm shocked and thrilled by his color change. I love hoe brightly colored the cayugas are and that's kinda what he's reminding me off. He started feathering black then one day I was holding him and saw it had changed. Makes me wish id gotten another like him, but the original 3 I picked were all different colors so it'd be easy to tell them apart except the hubby picked the 2 Rouen or mallard, right now we can tell them apart by their faces one has 2 bold lines on the face the other one full line then a small line on each side of the bill like a big smile. My largest mystery fella ( he hasn't quacked yet so I'm assuming male, makes a cute whistle chirping sound) and my darkest brown runner are my sweetest 2. I always get happy quacks from my girl and she will jump and jump to be picked up and held if I'm sitting down she climbs in my lap, she'd rather hang out with me than her flock, they all love there faces rubbed and give affection back. I have absolutely adored raising my first ducklings. Even though they're messy its been worth it, they greet me with excited chatter when I get up and when I come in from work they're all standing up waiting for attention, they even way there little tails like dogs. I've always wanted ducklings, but I had no idea they could be so sweet and affectionate and enjoy human company, it's like they act like we are there parents. I'm not sure how old they were when I got them from tsc, they had just come in that day right before I came in so I was lucky to get first pick, the 2 runners and my mystery blue boy were friendly from day 1 they cried in the box in the car till I put my hand in then they called down and they've always jumped at us to be picked up, its like we bonded as soon as we got them to the car, the other 2 were more timed they'd run away screaming the first week but are now just as eager for attention but they don't seem to like being picked up like the others. I've read lots of posts from happy duck parents on here, I'm so happy I finally got to join in
1f60a.png
I've held off from buying them before because all I saw were pekin ducklings and I wanted something with more color, after we move where we will have a fully fenced in yard I may try to find a ancona, and id love 2 have a grey/blue runner and either a magpie or welsh harlequin, of course even with a fenced in yard they will still have a safe lot for night time or when we are at work, they're safety is top priority. If my blue duck really is a boy I need to find him a female closer to his size, they started off the same I didn't know he was going to outgrow them, these skinny runner girls are so cute and funny when they stand up

Welcome! I'm new to ducks as well. We just started with our ducklings, 7 in our flock. They vary in age. We've already established a bond, especially with the oldest. But it seems to me, none of them like "hand monsters". (We call it that when we go to pick them up.) Once they are in our lap they are quite happy, snuggling and crawling up to our faces. Eventually they'll climb down to eat or we get tired of holding them.

You can see my page here... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/968093/new-member-lots-of-pictures#post_15082168

plain unmedicated chick starter is fine for your ducklings you just have to add extra niacin to their diet somehow as they require more then chicks. and they grow really fast and by 5 weeks old they could go outside

How critical is it to add niacin to their diet? Where do I find it?

How critical is it to add niacin to their diet? Where do I find it?
very critical...brewers yeast is a good source...1 tablespoon to a cup of crumbles is a good ratio. or you can crush a human niacin tablet and mix half with a gallon of water. and they need the extra till their 10 weeks old

My darkest brown runner climbs on my hand as fast as its low enough and tries to climb my arm to get out faster so she can be held silly girl wants to lay on my shoulder like a parrot, my mystery fella puts his chest against my hand to let me know he wants to be picked up and will also stand on my hand, my lighter brown runner and the 2 younger Rouen or mallard, they say mallard at tsc but I kinda think Rouen they look pretty much identical from my research, they don't like being picked up sometimes they pitch a fit, but they enjoy being petted, one of the younger 2 rubs his/her(unsure on gender of these 2) head on my hand, will stretch the neck over my hand and rest its head on my hand, I don't know if anyone else has tried or noticed this, or if ducklings have feelings in there bills but ours love to have there bills rubbed. The 2 youngest are bonded they won't leave each others sight when we carry them from the bath tub to where they're kept they pitch a fit if they are separated. All 5 get along great, everyone seems happy. I've been feeding them Purina mixed flock starter grower its not medicated, its mostly crumbles with a few sparse pellets, and I add a little chick grit. Would you believe my local tsc doesn't carry duckling or adult duck food! I've been looking for it and read pellets cut down on some of the mess in the water, that a lot of the crumbles fall out of there mouth and into the water. If you sell ducklings for chick days and can order year round shouldn't you also carry duck food? This mixed flock said it can be used with chickens ducks turkeys and other fowl, I want to make sure I'm feeding them properly, there health and happiness matters alot, they're pets, they won't be eaten and if I get eggs that's an added bonus
1f60a.png
they've really made there way into my heart with there sweet personalities. They make it obvious they're happy to see me, they even act jealous when I handle my chicks
1f603.png
if they can reach me they grab my pant leg and pull on it like they're saying hey mama play with us not them. If I sit in front of the tub and lean in they group up in my arms, they try to groom us too hair hands clothes. Luckily everyone is friendly nobody bites they gently groom us with there bills. Sometimes they get mischievous and like to play and tug on our clothes. I'm so happy and feel so lucky they've bonded to us instead of running away and being terrified or aggressive. I have no regrets getting them they're so wonderful. Each has there own personality. The second day I had the first 3 my darkest runner pebbles was on the couch with me she snuggled up on my chest, rolled over on her side and fell asleep on me, she's one spoiled baby. I hate to play favorites since I do love them all, but pebbles my runner and jumper my unknown turning blue fella are my sweeties. They give the most affection and enjoy handling the most, pebbles would stay on me all the time if she could. Jumper got his name because he used to stand at the tub and jump over and over to get attention, now pebbles does it the most, of course jumper is bigger now and he just has to walk over to me. I named the 3 I picked jumper, cocoa (she was a light chocolate brown) and pebbles is my dark brown runner she's almost black, cocoa has a brown bill and feet, pebbles are black, the hubby named the 2 he got while picking me up some bantams while I was at work (surprise we got 2 new ducklings with your bantams lol) ducky (from ncis) and dodger ( since it was the most timid) also the old cartoon duck dodgers lol guess we're still big kids
1f60a.png
I just love talking about these sweethearts, I'm so proud of them for being such wonderful creatures, they don't have to let us handle them, they choose to want our affection and return it in there own way. I get lots of what I call duck hugs they come up to my arm and press they're bodies against it and rest there neck and head on my arm, it really looks like a hug. I couldn't be happier with them. I'm not looking forward to moving them outside I know they need the room and its where they're supposed to be but its been such a joy bonding with them. We're going to have there pin close to the house for safety and so they know they're still loved and we're close by and of course they'll still get the same amount of attention outside. I figure if they're close to the house they'll be even more safe

In just wondering what age can u put ducklings outside without a heat lamp, they are 4 and a half weeks old, and I know u have to wait till they're fully feathered, but do u know how long that will take, they're already loosing their yellow fuzz, and they are nearly all white now :) thanks

I could use some help with question about Muscovy Ducks. I have decided on muscovy ducks for a meat duck, as i had the chance to taste it last week end and was impressed. I have been doing some reading on the breed and it seems that it would be a good fit for me. But I can not find any where that tells me about how many eggs I could expect a duck to lay.

In just wondering what age can u put ducklings outside without a heat lamp, they are 4 and a half weeks old, and I know u have to wait till they're fully feathered, but do u know how long that will take, they're already loosing their yellow fuzz, and they are nearly all white now
smile.png
thanks

I just put mine out a couple of days ago. They are about 7 weeks old and fully feathered. They starting getting their feathers a couple of weeks ago. How cold is it in your area? It's only getting down to the upper 40's here now, so mine are outside with only an enclosed coop to huddle into at night. They are doing great, though!

I could use some help with question about Muscovy Ducks. I have decided on muscovy ducks for a meat duck, as i had the chance to taste it last week end and was impressed. I have been doing some reading on the breed and it seems that it would be a good fit for me. But I can not find any where that tells me about how many eggs I could expect a duck to lay.
The following quote is from journeytoforever.org..."Muscovy ducks can lay up to 195 eggs a year over a 40-week season. They'll nest three or four times during the season, hatching up to 20 ducklings a time. That leaves plenty of eggs for you, and LOTS of great meat!"

Back
Top Bottom