The Duck Thread

Formerly known as Diva pics as promised...

@WVduckchick
@Julie Bird

Looking for new name.

Him spreading his wings

EEEEEEEEEk. Debs, thank you for posting. I am seriously in love. Your foursome is so cute. I want to hug him as he spreads his wings. You know it is actually him opening them up to welcome me. It is sweet how all 4 of them get along in these photos. Will the pekins always be bigger than the rouens?

I liked @WVduckchick 's idea to name him Bill since his bill is what just healed. He justa big puffy upright walkin' webbied footed burd.

This was their first molt, so I'm not sure what is normal, but they just seemed to lose like maybe a third to half of their feathers. Their chests were the most noticeable as being thinned out. Scruffy looking, but not nearly bald. Kinda like grandma when her hair starts thinning lol! And be on the lookout for a rump-shot... its too cute.

Agree Deb... isn't Julie just the sweetest? And I am still unsure if I have 3/1 or 4 girls also... I may even have 2/2! I think Opie is more of a boy's name, but she is definitely one of my girls. Her name is not changing. But Diva? Yea, you may have to call "him" something else! LOL And good news on his bill! (hey, call him Bill... lol)
You are so much a sweetie. Really. Thank you. I always enjoy your 4 webbed kiddos and your posts and you are always so nice and helpful when you answer my and other's questions. I am glad to hear the birds are scruffy looking rather than bald. I know what you mean with the gramma hair thinning analogy. I am glad their feathers grow back.

I am looking forward to a rump-shot. The rumps are so soft and cute on these birds.

I don't know If I'm posting in the right area. If I'm not please direct me ..LOL
My ducklings arrive on Tuesday. I'm doing my best to gather all the info I can and read as much as I can, but some simple things aren't easily answered, for me anyways,

Questions:. June 16th they will be arriving, They'll be a day or two old. So with it being June, will I get eggs before the winter? At what age will Pekins a special Muscovys start to have eggs?

I absolutely can't wait for my little guys, but like I was with the arrival of the chicks, I'm incredibly nervous I will screw it up. Hopefully all my readings and this a,aging site will help me as much as the chicken info has. I can not even describe how many times I've been on here looking things up! What a help this site is!!

Unfortunately I don't find this the easiest site to navigate so if I've posted in the earring area my apologizes.

Cheers,

Sandy
Aaaw, no apologies. I know you will find great people that will jump in and help you here.

Formerly known as Diva pics as promised... @WVduckchick @Julie Bird Looking for new name. Him spreading his wings
@Debs Flock Wow your baby is beautiful! No matter what name you give him. Honestly the first name that came to mind (after Bill) was Max. That wingspan just looks so majestic and strong. I would vote for a majestic and strong name. Rambo, Zeus, Attila! But I think a name needs to suit a personality, so only you know what would really suit him. Is he silly... protective... shy... friendly... scary... Tell me more! Lol

early summer? more like into early fall.

@RowJimmy1868 if your other Pekin is crested please don't let them have ducklings, it is a lethal gene and all kinds of things can happen to the ducklings. while being incubated. none pleasant.
It's just a regular Pekin. I was reading up about the crested ones and saw it was a genetic defect. Very odd stuff.

Anyone else with multiple life stages of ducks see their drakes go after the juvies to mate. I feel like my young ones are a little to young. Like Chris Hanson young if you know what I'm saying but he just keeps trying to gain position on one specifically. Should I pen him up?

@SandyM

Welcome!

Pekins are a larger breed, so they generally take - from what I read - five or six months average before they lay, I think.  I know my little Runners started between 16 and 22 weeks.  By 22 weeks, everyone was laying.

So that was between 4 and 5 months.

Have you read the sticky on Raising Ducklings?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Thanks, I'm on my way to check it out!!!

Do ducks lay eggs in the winter, or slow down with egg laying?

Back
Top Bottom