The Duck Thread

My ducks and chickens live together in one flock in the backyard....4 hens, 2 female ducks ( a magpie and a Rouen) and a young male duck ( a Rouen).
They LOVE my 3 golden retrievers and follow them around and my dogs are very gentle with them....they also like the Sulcata tortoises when I bring them outside.
welcome-byc.gif
Sounds like a happy bunch.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I had no idea where to look for anything to do with ducks. I need all the help I can get. Freddy, Audrey, Beverly, Arthur, Dicky, Zippy and Tippy are counting on me. They have an island in the middle of the pond, but I was wondering if they should have a house of their own? Also, can they eat the plants and stuff that grow along the edges, if I am not there to feed them on occasion?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I had no idea where to look for anything to do with ducks. I need all the help I can get. Freddy, Audrey, Beverly, Arthur, Dicky, Zippy and Tippy are counting on me. They have an island in the middle of the pond, but I was wondering if they should have a house of their own? Also, can they eat the plants and stuff that grow along the edges, if I am not there to feed them on occasion?
Yes they will need some sort of shelter where they can be put away at night for protection from predators as well as protection from severe weather. Given enough space they will probably work out their station in the flock but based on their names I am guessing 3 drakes and 3 ducks. If so your gender distribution may become a problem when time to mate comes around. Typically it is recommended that there be at least 4 ducks to each drake to keep fighting at a minimum. It is probably alright for them to eat the water plants but they will need a more balanced diet than that so I would suggest getting a good mixed flock feed if you are not able to find a waterfowl specific feed.

Best of luck with them and, if you are able, post pictures. We love to see other folks birds.

Yes they will need some sort of shelter where they can be put away at night for protection from predators as well as protection from severe weather. Given enough space they will probably work out their station in the flock but based on their names I am guessing 3 drakes and 3 ducks. If so your gender distribution may become a problem when time to mate comes around. Typically it is recommended that there be at least 4 ducks to each drake to keep fighting at a minimum. It is probably alright for them to eat the water plants but they will need a more balanced diet than that so I would suggest getting a good mixed flock feed if you are not able to find a waterfowl specific feed.

Best of luck with them and, if you are able, post pictures. We love to see other folks birds.
X2
and, not just the fighting but to keep your ducks from being over mated.

Is it a blood feather? Or a cut?

If a cut, then some flour dabbed on it should stop the bleeding.

But if it's a broken blood feather if it doesn't stop bleeding soon may need to be pulled - I have no experience with this, but I have read about it here on the forum.

Is it a blood feather?  Or a cut?

If a cut, then some flour dabbed on it should stop the bleeding.

But if it's a broken blood feather if it doesn't stop bleeding soon may need to be pulled - I have no experience with this, but I have read about it here on the forum.

its just starting to get its feathers... is it a pin feather? Looks like just from the tip. Not sure what to do :(

@Miss Lydia @casportpony
@needlessjunk @TLWR

@Amykins

Any of you with experience with this?

@OldMissionChick - in a previous thread, Amykins wrote that if it's blood coming out of the shaft of a blood feather, that the feather needs to be pulled to avoid blood loss. Have you tried searching for instructions on how to do that?

I see that TwoCrows wrote elsewhere that cornstarch should stop the bleeding, and not to pull the feather unless it doesn't stop bleeding…..

Last edited:
@Miss Lydia
  @casportpony

@needlessjunk
  @TLWR

@Amykins

Any of you with experience with this?

@OldMissionChick
  - in a previous thread, Amykins wrote that if it's blood coming out of the shaft of a blood feather, that the feather needs to be pulled to avoid blood loss.  Have you tried searching for instructions on how to do that?

I see that TwoCrows wrote elsewhere that cornstarch should stop the bleeding, and not to pull the feather unless it doesn't stop bleeding…..

I was trying to find something with pictures. I wasn't sure u f they meant the whole feather or just the keritan shaft...

Back
Top Bottom