The Duck Thread

I think you have a muscovy too! Can't be certain though. As it grows it will be easier to tell.

We really need to get to the bottom of this mismarking problem this year. I asked my Tractor Supply what gatcheries they receive burds from, and called all of the hatcheries. Individual hatcheries cannot say where each order went, but they did usually say that they do not carry muscovies. Someone is making a very big mistake with all of their orders this year. As I said, I think it's gotten out of hand and needs to be stopped. I think most of us know what happens when you mix a Muscovy with a Pekin. I have adult Pekin. If these are Muscovies, they will all be processed.

Hello all, well I have a question for any who may know. What type of ducks do we have? We got them from our local TSC and the lady "thought" they were regular white pekings, but now we are in doubt. They were all cute little yellow ducklings, then within a few weeks 2 developed a dark spot on their heads, and now they all are getting dark caps with the initial 2 having a much more prominent spot. Thanks in advanced.
They are definitely muscovies. Black spot on their heads might disappear after their adult molt and they will be so called French white utility type muscovy.

Last edited:
Chickie/duckie update:

Eggos and no-name (yet) checking out the great outdoors. No-name is honking but I'm getting worried that Mayne Eggos is a male after all. I assumed she was female because her voice got hoarse much earlier than any of my other males, but I haven't heard a honk from her yet... :/

Look how BIG Eggos is! Pekin for sure lol

Did some feeding on either side of the fence to try and get them feeling more comfortable around each other

My older fawn/white runner, Duckasaurus, sure had something to say about her new doppelganger

Broken wing is still going strong.he's the scrawny looking one here

Then he jumped right in front of my phone as I snapped a pictur . Look at this goofy midair shot! I couldn't stop laughing lol

Other chick pics. Still not sure about the breeds, other than the barred Plymouth rock and the buff orphingtons and Rhode Island reds.

Last edited:
Lovely pics! You have a good variety of chickens there. I like the chicken in the first pic off to the right away from the others. LOL...that is hilarious the way you got broken wing in mid air in that pic.

Lovely pics!  You have a good variety of chickens there.  I like the chicken in the first pic off to the right away from the others.  LOL...that is hilarious the way you got broken wing in mid air in that pic.
I believe that chicken either an Easter Egger or an Ameraucana...I think lol. I can't believe little broken wing (my husband named him B-Dubs) can jump that high. He's so spunky!

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not the only one having identification problems. I was told that my brown duckling was a Cayuga. But now that it's feathers are growing in I don't think that's what it is anymore. (And yes I'm calling it an it cuz I don't know the gender yet) this is the best picture I have of it at this point
I'm glad I'm not the only one having identification problems. I was told that my brown duckling was a Cayuga. But now that it's feathers are growing in I don't think that's what it is anymore. (And yes I'm calling it an it cuz I don't know the gender yet) this is the best picture I have of it at this point
I also got these guys from TSC

Last edited:
I should add that is when they are ducklings. As they mature the males will get a beautiful beetle green to their heads. They may develop a blue hint to their wing feathers. As the females mature more they often develop white feathers. I have a 2 and a half year old female that has turned almost completely white (with black specks). She is actually my favorite.

Well he/she
I should add that is when they are ducklings. As they mature the males will get a beautiful beetle green to their heads. They may develop a blue hint to their wing feathers. As the females mature more they often develop white feathers. I have a 2 and a half year old female that has turned almost completely white (with black specks). She is actually my favorite.
looks like she might be a mallard female, because the feathers resemble that. But the ones I've seen don't have dark legs

Last edited:
Multiple eggs with external pips. Had to help out a mallard duckling after 12+ hrs of no progress. Have 2 mallards that pipped at wrong end so i helped make a hole and wrapped them up in wet paper towel worth hole exposed. Setting my alarm every 2 hrs so i can help moisten the membrane so they don't get stuck.

Our duckling is dry but sure if he is sticky from membrane/hatching? He hatched about 7am this morning.

Yay! I hope those two do okay! Is this duckling really sticky? As long as it seems healthy and happy I think it will clean its feathers.

We really need to get to the bottom of this mismarking problem this year. I asked my Tractor Supply what gatcheries they receive burds from, and called all of the hatcheries. Individual hatcheries cannot say where each order went, but they did usually say that they do not carry muscovies. Someone is making a very big mistake with all of their orders this year. As I said, I think it's gotten out of hand and needs to be stopped. I think most of us know what happens when you mix a Muscovy with a Pekin. I have adult Pekin. If these are Muscovies, they will all be processed.
I don't know if they will ever change their marking techniques. If you want to guarantee what breeds you get order from Metzer Farms or Holderreads.

I'm glad I'm not the only one having identification problems. I was told that my brown duckling was a Cayuga. But now that it's feathers are growing in I don't think that's what it is anymore. (And yes I'm calling it an it cuz I don't know the gender yet) this is the best picture I have of it at this point I also got these guys from TSC
I think it is a chocolate runner or a khaki campbell.

Well he/she
looks like she might be a mallard female, because the feathers resemble that. But the ones I've seen don't have dark legs
It's definitely not a mallard. True mallards look like this.

Back
Top Bottom