The Duck Thread

Sounds like you got lucky as my little girl hatchet out her little quackers last night or this morning and after I noticed her sitting in the water this afternoon I thought nothing of it but when she was there an hour later I checked her nest and found nothing but egg shells so after a little checking I found her baby's laying on the ground I figured the geese or the chickens had gotten to them
th.gif

hugs.gif
sorry for your loss.
Hi guys I recently lost a female duck to cayote:( I have decided to keep two eggs to hatch, I usually dispose them, is this ok? Can I just keep two and dispose the rest? They are out most of the time so if it is ok to keep the two eggs will the eggs be fine alone? My ducks stay in a pen inside my garage for he night and during the day it's pretty warm right now will the eggs be fine by themselves? Does she need to come sit on them a certain amount of times?
Did you get the coyote? Be careful because it will return if not. X2 what Pyxis said.

:hugs sorry for your loss.
Did you get the coyote?  Be careful because it will return if not.    X2 what Pyxis said.
No unfortunately I have not but I do not leave them pass 7 outside any longer I check on them after and I walk my dog around often to hopefully scare him away if he is near but thank you

Sorry for your loss :hugs Do you mean you're going to incubate them or that you're wanting a duck to go broody? It sounds like the latter. If the latter, the duck needs to sit on them 24/7 with the exception of a brief break or two each day to eat and drink. You can't make a duck go broody, and leaving two eggs might not get her to do it - most ducks don't sit until they have what they consider a full clutch, which is not usually only two eggs. Breed plays a role too - what breed is the female you are hoping will sit on the eggs? Some breeds go broody while others generally do not. You really only have about ten days to start incubation before the eggs begin to become less likely to hatch, so if you really want to hatch them, you should really be looking into getting an incubator and doing it yourself. You may also want to do more than two eggs since there's no guarantee that they will both hatch and if only one hatched you'd be stuck with one lonely duckling.
Ok I see I will be looking into getting an incubator then thank you I have Pekins by the way

Ok I see I will be looking into getting an incubator then thank you I have Pekins by the way

I would recommend a Brinsea Mini Eco or Advance if you can afford it and don't mind that it doesn't fit a ton of eggs. They're great little incubators and if you put three eggs in there you'll most likely get at least two ducklings (might want to do four to be sure). They're great for beginners because you can pretty much put the eggs in and leave them alone for 28 days and come back to ducklings.

Pekins usually don't go broody. That said I have one that does every year (is brooding right now, actually) but that's really rare for the breed, so an incubator will be your best bet.

Question, i just had 6 ducklings hatch a few days ago. We had a storm come through as #6 was working its way out and our power went out. I had to make the decision to plug up the heat lamp instead of the incubator. I assisted in its hatching but i noticed that he is blid in his left eye. Other than the eye the little guy is perfectly healthy and walking great! Is there anything i need to do or give him to prevent infection? Or what steps do i need to take for him?

I would recommend a Brinsea Mini Eco or Advance if you can afford it and don't mind that it doesn't fit a ton of eggs. They're great little incubators and if you put three eggs in there you'll most likely get at least two ducklings (might want to do four to be sure). They're great for beginners because you can pretty much put the eggs in and leave them alone for 28 days and come back to ducklings.

Pekins usually don't go broody. That said I have one that does every year (is brooding right now, actually) but that's really rare for the breed, so an incubator will be your best bet.
I wish I had seen this comment I have purchased one just now and will be here tomorrow it was def more on he cheaper side tho..do I put the eggs I soon as I get it? Does the light have to be on the full 28 days? I will try to put at least 5 then

I wish I had seen this comment I have purchased one just now and will be here tomorrow it was def more on he cheaper side tho..do I put the eggs I soon as I get it? Does the light have to be on the full 28 days? I will try to put at least 5 then

You need to let it warm up to temperature before adding the eggs. Usually letting it run for 24 hours before adding the eggs is a good idea. I'm confused as to what you mean by the light. Also make sure you calibrate some thermometers and check the temperature with them because cheaper incubators are often wrong as far as what the temperature is on their displays or the thermometers they come with.

You need to let it warm up to temperature before adding the eggs. Usually letting it run for 24 hours before adding the eggs is a good idea. I'm confused as to what you mean by the light. Also make sure you calibrate some thermometers and check the temperature with them because cheaper incubators are often wrong as far as what the temperature is on their displays or the thermometers they come with.
Ok I appreciate the answers so much and about the light I figured there is light lol sorry about that..what temperature is needed I will be doing that and checking to make sure it is correct

Ok I appreciate the answers so much and about the light I figured there is light lol sorry about that..what temperature is needed I will be doing that and checking to make sure it is correct

You'll want it at 99.5 degrees F. Don't forget to get a hydrometer too to monitor the humidity. Which incubator did you get?

Last edited:
What is the best age to butcher a duck? I have one that is super wild and not worth keeping.
Also when should ducks start laying? Can they brood ducklings in fall or do they only go broody in springtime?

Back
Top Bottom