The Duck Thread

Thanks! Yes all girls. I have already named the smallest Blue Swedish Greta. She's a fighter. She was a little lethargic a couple hours after they arrived and looked like she was laying down when all the others were sitll running, drinking and eating. I dipped her bill a couple more times in the water to make sure she knew where to find it. About an hour later she perked right up and now today, she is right there with the other bigger girls. I am amazed that in just 24 hours, I can see a difference in their size! I could sit and watch them for hours.
Great name! So glad she is okay! That's wonderful how much you are enjoying them!
wee.gif

Ugh. My post just disappeared to add insult to injury.

Last night something got passed my electric fence and killed my beatiiful Cayuga, Cala. She had the most beautiful feathers.

2 more of my ducks are wounded and I have 3 pills I have to give them 2 times a day. I can't do it by myself. They aren't really eating right now so even when I tried to put the little one in peas they still won't eat it. Holding them and shoving down a pill by myself is too much.

I really need help. Any ideas on how I can get them to take these pills. We are all beaten, bloody, and upset.

I can't quit thinking how horrible last night must have been. I can't believe I didn't hear anything. Fixed some saggy areas in the fence and I'm closing their shed at night now. I'm so heart broken. I just can't.

So sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
Wishing the others a speedy recovery. I've never had to give a pill; sorry I can't help. But I'm sure you will hear from others soon. Good luck.
@Miss Lydia
@casportpony
@Amiga

First, they may be in shock - that will prevent their digestive system from working correctly.

So, I would not delay for more than another 12 to 16 hours, but I would take a step back, give them time in a tub of lukewarm water, and just chat with them a little bit. That may help everyone's nerves, including your own.

When Sechs needed anti inflammatory and antibiotic, I got it in liquid form, and mashed it into peas. She was not thrilled the first day, but by the next day she was doing better (she was eggbound), and so it worked well.

Turmeric is an herb that stains skin and clothes, but it is a natural anti inflammatory, and that may help the ducks a little. You could try putting some in their water. Are they drinking? If so, turmeric might help. Or for tonight and tomorrow morning, a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar per quart of drinking water may provide some electrolytes and help them get through the initial shock.

There is a video on syringe-feeding a goose that might help you, but I would not recommend you bothering with that tonight.

hugs.

Thanks all. Lily is drinking a little but not eating. I've been giving her water with honey in it, I'll do some acv soon. She is still very wobbly and likes sitting on her heating pad. I've been able to get the evening pills down and with the weekend she will have a lot of attention and both morning and evening doses. Hopefully I can figure it out by Monday. My Pekin is doing just fine.

The girls are not happy to be put in the shed at night but I know it's for their own good.

Thanks all. Lily is drinking a little but not eating. I've been giving her water with honey in it, I'll do some acv soon. She is still very wobbly and likes sitting on her heating pad. I've been able to get the evening pills down and with the weekend she will have a lot of attention and both morning and evening doses. Hopefully I can figure it out by Monday. My Pekin is doing just fine.

The girls are not happy to be put in the shed at night but I know it's for their own good.
You might try wetting her feed with warm water making a soupy mix [small amt first] to see if you can get some food into her..

So sorry this has happened.. Yep making sure they are inside a secure house is always best. and for their own good.

Hello from Cheltenham, PA. Over here preparing for winter and I have two things I need help with:
Both of my Perkins (lady and gent) are four years old. They eat duck pellets every day and free arrange a couple hours a day.
First question has to do with my female. Her wings don't have any of their main feathers on them and it's making me nervous because this winter may be brutal. I have posted pictures of her wings below:

Second, my male has this odd feather that he must be pecking at and he is very sensitive when I go to touch it but I have not observed him pulling at it and don't know if I should leave it alone or try to help him. Pictures below.

Thank you!!!

Modifications are made!

They have a 1/4 of a pill that is "bird ibuprofen" as the vet explained it. The other 2 are Huge antibiotics. I also have a topical that is much easier to apply. They are quarantined with their heating pad from the brooder to help keep them warm.

Pills are no fun with ducks esp if they won't take them with treats or mashed up. It can be super frustrating for both of you! So I've been giving my pekin meds twice a day since August. I've gotten good at it with my guy. He's a pekin so his size works against him, but helps me. The best, esp if they are hurt, is to wrap him/her in a towel then kneel over them so you are holding them kinda between your legs but no weight is on them just enough for them to know they can't really go anywhere. Then using your non pill hand grabbing under the beak with a finger and thumb on each side holding the beak open. With the "pill hand" either sliding down the inside top of the beak as they will let you or just go straight to the side/back of the tongue push the pill behind the "end/back" of the tongue. And place before there they can spit it back out. It's not fun and they won't like you for it but it is the most efficient way to get pills down. Make sure they have access to water as soon as you are done. If they will take ALL of the meds another way do it but only getting partial meds isn't worth the delay of healing. I hope your little guys get better quickly!!!! Let me know if I can clear any instructions up.

Pills are no fun with ducks esp if they won't take them with treats or mashed up. It can be super frustrating for both of you! So I've been giving my pekin meds twice a day since August. I've gotten good at it with my guy. He's a pekin so his size works against him, but helps me. The best, esp if they are hurt, is to wrap him/her in a towel then kneel over them so you are holding them kinda between your legs but no weight is on them just enough for them to know they can't really go anywhere. Then using your non pill hand grabbing under the beak with a finger and thumb on each side holding the beak open. With the "pill hand" either sliding down the inside top of the beak as they will let you or just go straight to the side/back of the tongue push the pill behind the "end/back" of the tongue. And place before there they can spit it back out. It's not fun and they won't like you for it but it is the most efficient way to get pills down. Make sure they have access to water as soon as you are done. If they will take ALL of the meds another way do it but only getting partial meds isn't worth the delay of healing. I hope your little guys get better quickly!!!! Let me know if I can clear any instructions up.

I think you need to be sure not to push anything down the airway. Is it the right side that is the safe side? @casportpony

I think you need to be sure not to push anything down the airway.  Is it the right side that is the safe side?  @casportpony

I always do the right side and the roof of the mouth is supposed to take you over and past the airway. I've never been successful with the roof of the mouth method because my boy starts shaking his head before we get halfway. My vet told us to do it this way and I've never had a problem with the airway.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom