The EE braggers thread!!!

One of the babies from my recent hatch! Love those cheeks!

Oh, how cute.. is that an owl?
lau.gif

I think EEs are the cutest of the cute chicks! Oh, and silkies...

I agree with the grey boy - that is either the lavender coloring or a blue gene that gives the lovely grey. The Red and Black boy doesn't sound like he has either the "blue" or the "lavender" gene - but the lavender could be hidden.

Thank you; after consider it for awhile, that's the same idea I came to. Those girls aren't laying yet, maybe next month, but that grey boy is trying to tread hens already. Hopefully the new coop and runs will be done soon and I can sort them out for a hatch in a couple months. In the mean time the red& black fellow is going to go visit some Welsummer and WelsummerXbrown leghorn girls to make olivers ;-)

Thank you; after consider it for awhile, that's the same idea I came to. Those girls aren't laying yet, maybe next month, but that grey boy is trying to tread hens already. Hopefully the new coop and runs will be done soon and I can sort them out for a hatch in a couple months. In the mean time the red& black fellow is going to go visit some Welsummer and WelsummerXbrown leghorn girls to make olivers ;-)

The lavendar gene is recessive, both parents have to have it for it to show in the chicks.

I'm watching for him (the fox), and the neighbor has agreed to either catch and pen the dog, or accept the fact that I'm going to kill it if it's seen on my place again.

Quite the "understanding" neighbor! How far away is his house? I am assuming there is a goodly distance the dog has to travel to get to your chickens since popping off 4 rounds from a 45 isn't something one does in an area with houses close by. I gather you spend some time practicing, getting really close at 150 to 200 yards with a pistol is quite good, especially at night. Must be some good spotlight too.

What breed would I get for a pink egg?
One of my Cubalayas lays a very pale pink egg.
One of the Chanteclers started with a shiny tan the other with a somewhat darker matte brown.
But I've not seen much shiny of late and the colors are closer plus yesterday one of them laid an egg that definitely has a pinkish cast. Don't know which one though because they were both matte.
My Faverolles are both broody (MUST make a broody buster box!!!) and aren't laying. One of them lays a matte light peach, the other a medium light brown.

But, like most of the girls, the color from any given girl changes. The EEs both laid yesterday and it wasn't until I had both of them that I knew the first was from the blue layer (Andromeda) and the second from the green layer. This is the 6th day in a row for Andromeda and the blue fades through the "period" until it has a greenish cast. She's been "helpful" of late having what looks like tiny chips of shell "glued" to the pointy end. I would think that 40 grit sandpaper would be uncomfortable coming out! None on her egg yesterday though or I would have known it was hers. Persephone's green can go from olive all the way to "is that blue or green". She's been slacking a bit of late - 2 days on then one or two off. Still, she's averaged 5 a week since she started on Dec 12th.

Here are my two girls sold to me as EE's. Both lay an off white/ khaki egg... I really wanted some color! :p

Khaki and white ARE colors
wink.png
In fact, in my flock, white is the exception so they are the "different" colored eggs
The coloring, pattern and beard/muff say EE but that "vertical hatchet" tail says Ancona (white layers). I wonder if she is an Ancona cross. I say this with little chicken knowledge other than I have 2 Ancona and their tails are SO narrow side to side and carried SO vertical compared to my other girls. I have no idea what genetics say about egg color based on the parents.

You can see the extremes in my small flock:
Ancona (the one in the back is a Faverolles)

Cubalaya

Bruce

Quite the "understanding" neighbor! How far away is his house? I am assuming there is a goodly distance the dog has to travel to get to your chickens since popping off 4 rounds from a 45 isn't something one does in an area with houses close by. I gather you spend some time practicing, getting really close at 150 to 200 yards with a pistol is quite good, especially at night. Must be some good spotlight too.

One of my Cubalayas lays a very pale pink egg.
One of the Chanteclers started with a shiny tan the other with a somewhat darker matte brown.
But I've not seen much shiny of late and the colors are closer plus yesterday one of them laid an egg that definitely has a pinkish cast. Don't know which one though because they were both matte.
My Faverolles are both broody (MUST make a broody buster box!!!) and aren't laying. One of them lays a matte light peach, the other a medium light brown.

But, like most of the girls, the color from any given girl changes. The EEs both laid yesterday and it wasn't until I had both of them that I knew the first was from the blue layer (Andromeda) and the second from the green layer. This is the 6th day in a row for Andromeda and the blue fades through the "period" until it has a greenish cast. She's been "helpful" of late having what looks like tiny chips of shell "glued" to the pointy end. I would think that 40 grit sandpaper would be uncomfortable coming out! None on her egg yesterday though or I would have known it was hers. Persephone's green can go from olive all the way to "is that blue or green". She's been slacking a bit of late - 2 days on then one or two off. Still, she's averaged 5 a week since she started on Dec 12th.

Khaki and white ARE colors
wink.png
In fact, in my flock, white is the exception so they are the "different" colored eggs
The coloring, pattern and beard/muff say EE but that "vertical hatchet" tail says Ancona (white layers). I wonder if she is an Ancona cross. I say this with little chicken knowledge other than I have 2 Ancona and their tails are SO narrow side to side and carried SO vertical compared to my other girls. I have no idea what genetics say about egg color based on the parents.

You can see the extremes in my small flock:
Ancona (the one in the back is a Faverolles)

Cubalaya

Bruce
Their eggs are nice really shiny almost pink, and they lay an egg a day. They are sweet birds and Im glad to have them in my flock. I currently have 4 arcauna chicks 15 days old :) in with my broody, so I am hoping to get some hens. Nice birds btw I really like the ancona very interesting.

Yes, I have extensive training, in that regard. Yes, it is a strong light, as I professionally hog hunt for ranchers and farmers. That 45 is my day-to-day and back-up carry when I hog hunt. Alo, my driveway is over 1/4 mile long, so I shoot pretty much whenever I want. I have a 200 meter range, on the place. I also shoot to 600 meters, regularly, with my precision weapons as 'yote and hog-hunting require long shots, at times. The dog is only alive because I haven't decided to kill it, yet. I could have done so, this morning. I avoid killing until I have to. It gets old.

Another question, tho. Does anyone know if a skunk will eat chickens? We've been smelling them in the yard, quite a bit, this winter. I haven't tried to "see" them very hard, for obvious reasons. I prefer not to get too close, and we can smell them inside the house when they dig grubs in the yard. Am I going to have to add another animal to the ones that I'm shooting? sigh...

Yes, I have extensive training, in that regard. Yes, it is a strong light, as I professionally hog hunt for ranchers and farmers. That 45 is my day-to-day and back-up carry when I hog hunt. Alo, my driveway is over 1/4 mile long, so I shoot pretty much whenever I want. I have a 200 meter range, on the place. I also shoot to 600 meters, regularly, with my precision weapons as 'yote and hog-hunting require long shots, at times. The dog is only alive because I haven't decided to kill it, yet. I could have done so, this morning. I avoid killing until I have to. It gets old.

Another question, tho. Does anyone know if a skunk will eat chickens? We've been smelling them in the yard, quite a bit, this winter. I haven't tried to "see" them very hard, for obvious reasons. I prefer not to get too close, and we can smell them inside the house when they dig grubs in the yard. Am I going to have to add another animal to the ones that I'm shooting? sigh...

Yes skunks will go after chickens, especially chicks and eggs. I've had them kill a whole batch of chicks and killed a hen on the roost at night. (small coop, low roosts)

The lavendar gene is recessive, both parents have to have it for it to show in the chicks.

I figured that. It's not that I want a pure lav bird, it's the gold and grey lacing that I find really pretty; one of these girls is like partridge patterned but gold and grey. So I figured I won't get one like her in the first gen, but maybe I could breed a son back and get one in the second gen.

Yes skunks will go after chickens, especially chicks and eggs. I've had them kill a whole batch of chicks and killed a hen on the roost at night. (small coop, low roosts)

ARGH! Okie doke. Thanks for the quickie come-back. I guess I have to add to the "wanted list".

Back
Top Bottom