The EE braggers thread!!!

I see grass in your yard...how do you keep your chickens from eating it all? hahahha
Must have been staged!
wink.png

Actually, they don't seem to rip it all up if you have enough grass area for the number of chickens. I have no idea how much that is mind you but we have WAY more lawn/field than we have chickens so they forage through and take what the want then move on. I've not noticed them helping with the thistle or the stinging nettle. We need Eyeore.

Bruce

We have 2 acres they free range when I'm home. While I'm at work, they stay in their run.... well, all but Sassy (my "flyer"). She jumps the 8' fence and hangs out in the yard all day. Believe me when I say there is not one single blade of grass in the run!!

We have 2 acres they free range when I'm home. While I'm at work, they stay in their run.... well, all but Sassy (my "flyer"). She jumps the 8' fence and hangs out in the yard all day. Believe me when I say there is not one single blade of grass in the run!!
We have 25 acres, but mostly woods. They free range all day, but their favorite place is right behind the house where our only "cultivated grass" is!

I have penned in about 1/4 acre for chickens only in an attempt to start a rotation thingy to see if I can keep them in ryegrass, next winter. A new coop will have a door to each side so that I can rotate them thru it. One coop, and two enclosures. They kept the single side of it in pure mud, all winter. I only let them out when I'm home, now as others do, due to losses from varmints and neighbor dogs. Right now, they have access to both, and the foot high ryegrass in the "new section" has very little of a dent in it after 2 weeks. I'll post with results when it gets cold again, next year.

Another genetics note: I read an article by the "Creator" of the Amie, and he said that there was no Auracauna in the mix. He used another tinted egg bird from Europe, tho I can't remember which and can't find the article at the moment. I've been looking for it since Friday, when our discussion started. He shied from the Auracauna because of the ear tuft/rumpless fatal allele in that breed. THAT would cause a big stir among the "Purists", I'm sure. He claimed there are no Auracauna genes in the Amie. That is also the exact reason that I went toward the Amie against the Auracauna, that and the fact that having un-balanced tufts doesn't appear as attractive as beards on the girls does. My opinion, there, totally.

THAT! is nothing short of a gorgeous bird! I can only hope to copy that coloring. Do you have ANY idea of what she came from? The neck makes me think Roo, the head/comb makes me think Hen. ??? My black Sparkle was killed 2 weeks ago, before I started gathering eggs for the 'bator, and I am kicking myself over it. I had found her little nest with 7 eggs in it, and assumed they would have gotten too cold to hatch and put them in the "eat cartons". Now she's dead and I may have lost my black bird-producing possibilities...sigh

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom