The EE braggers thread!!!

I've been reading these posts on all 3 threads today, and agree with a lot of what I'm reading here. I raise both EEs and BBS Ameraucanas. I feel fortunate that the first chicks I ever hatched were properly labeled Easter Eggers, and I knew the difference between the two from the start. I never had the incur the wrath on the other thread while being informed I was wrong about my chickens, as I seen so many others suffer.

The feed store in my town sells EE chicks every year labeled as Araucanas. Because of this, there is a rampant misunderstanding of EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas in this area. The feed store doesn't know any better. They label them as the hatchery tells them to. What I don't understand is why more hatcheries don't adopt the term EE? EEs are colorful, sweet birds with colorful eggs. What's not to love? I realize they're trying to make a buck, but I never have any trouble selling my EE chicks, especially when folks see the eggs. I breed for egg color. We're not all trying to breed for show, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Our local feed store actually labeled theirs Ameraucana/Easter Eggers this year. I think that some feed stores don't know very much about chickens and like you said just go along with what the hatchery is calling the chicks. I think they should at least list them as non-standard Ameraucanas and inform people that they aren't "show quality." Easter Egger seems to include a lot of different crossbreeds of chickens that may or may not lay a blue egg. I think the hatcheries breed there chickens based on their blue egg laying abilities. I guess they could just advertise them as "blue-egg-layers." It seems like that type of chicken falls into no-mans-land. It doesn't have a distinct title or classification. To be fair, a lot of the hatchery catalogs that I received this year did state under the Ameraucana breed description that they should not be used for 4-H. So to me thats an indirect way of say non-standard birds that will not meet the SOP for the breed. Maybe we as the buyers just have to be smarter and properly research what we want to get. I was the same as you I understood that unless purchased from a breeder the Ameraucanas I was purchasing at the feed store were probably going to be EE's or non-standard blue egg-layers. Which is absolutely fine by me! I just feel sorry for people who think they have purchased an Ameraucana and then as you said "incur the wrath" from members on the other thread. Thats why I created my new Ameraucana thread today. I am trying to get more people to subscribe. I'll post the link below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...discussed-apa-non-standard-and-project-birds/

I wanted a white EE so bad and I got a yellow chick...was so excited. Now i think/know my pullet (sold as sexed) is a boy... Not really a big deal normally but there were 3 EEs and the kids each picked one so now he may be saved since I don't have the heart to butcher my daughter's baby. I may have to change my mind about the Brahma boy that I was going to let grow up, he may hit the bachelor pen until May
hu.gif

In case there is still hope has anyone ever had a pullet with a pinkish comb at 6 weeks??........................................Didn't think so...shucks!

I don't know if you have ever had a EE roo, but my tow are the best roos ever. They have the sweetest personalities. I'm sure there is a exception, but I bet if your daughter plays with him as he grows he will turn out to be as big a pet as mine.

Beauregard

Rosco

I got both at 9months of age and they are still great pets.

I agree, Amie/EE Roos are very "non-aggressive" towards humans. My big alpha, Cog (my avatar) just looks at my 5 year-old Grandson, and steps away when he wants to "chase the chickens" a bit. Cog doesn't get mean, he just guides all of the girls out of the line of fire. He's also quite good at pointing out food, and will NOT eat until the ladies are finished, or at least almost finished. He is also a fighter; he attacked a Sharp-Shinned Hawk that had a poor grip on Gamey, my Brood Hen. He fought long enough for me to arrive and end the whole encounter with some noise from the .45. I have since had other people relate their "my Roo fought a Hawk" stories, as well. What I call a good quality in an Alpha Roo.

Last edited:
I have an Amie hen that hops out, every day, with my game Hens. The fence is 6', tall and the coops are over 7'. I am 6-4, and walk straight when I'm inside the coops. They are made from 8' posts set 6" deep in concrete, ergo, 7-6 + the height of the roof and plates.The Roos leave when they want, as well. The yard must look better than the run.

Glad to hear K Epp he is the light one in this pic @ 1 week.

This is him now @ 6 weeks....as is the norm on here picture is not great but I don't really need any info just showing off.

The ugly red ones are my "packing peanuts" that will hopefully be big enough to get atleast one meal a piece out of :)

I've been reading these posts on all 3 threads today, and agree with a lot of what I'm reading here. I raise both EEs and BBS Ameraucanas. I feel fortunate that the first chicks I ever hatched were properly labeled Easter Eggers, and I knew the difference between the two from the start. I never had the incur the wrath on the other thread while being informed I was wrong about my chickens, as I seen so many others suffer.

The feed store in my town sells EE chicks every year labeled as Araucanas.

OK, so pardon my "French" but how the hell can a hatchery sell chicks with tails to the public or the farm/feed stores as Araucana?? BY DEFINITION they are RUMPLESS! I've not gone to see chicks at a farm/feed store so have not had the opportunity to educate them as to the likely mislabeling of their "Ameraucana". I suppose it would be futile anyway since so many post here that it never changes. I have to believe some have TRIED to set them straight.

Because of this, there is a rampant misunderstanding of EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas in this area. The feed store doesn't know any better. They label them as the hatchery tells them to. What I don't understand is why more hatcheries don't adopt the term EE? EEs are colorful, sweet birds with colorful eggs. What's not to love? I realize they're trying to make a buck, but I never have any trouble selling my EE chicks, especially when folks see the eggs. I breed for egg color. We're not all trying to breed for show, and there's nothing wrong with that.

EXACTLY! I, being a noob, figured I got Ameraucana because that is what the hatchery order page said they were. Found out different when I started spending more time on BYC. I am NOT AT ALL unhappy with my EEs. They are beautiful birds with plenty of personality that have laid, on average, almost 5 eggs a week each since they started. One blue (54 grams on average), one green (59 grams on average). I would have ordered them if they were called "Easter-Eggers" or "blue or green egg layers" because I was looking for BLUE OR GREEN EGGS! I didn't know squat about Araucana/Ameraucana/Americana/Easter Egger.

Our local feed store actually labeled theirs Ameraucana/Easter Eggers this year. I think that some feed stores don't know very much about chickens and like you said just go along with what the hatchery is calling the chicks. I think they should at least list them as non-standard Ameraucanas and inform people that they aren't "show quality."

Having learned a fair bit in the last 9 months, I don't think any hatchery bird will be show quality. If it is, it is pure luck. And clearly, some people at feed stores don't know about chickens, not from the "advice" they have given people who post on BYC asking questions.

That's why I created my new Ameraucana thread today. I am trying to get more people to subscribe. I'll post the link below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...discussed-apa-non-standard-and-project-birds/

OK, OK, I'm checking it out
wink.png
The title is a tad long though, don't you think?
I bet you get crap from the "true Ameraucana" people about calling it "The Ameraucana Thread". But if they don't want to read posts by people that are nice to each other, they can just leave
big_smile.png
Maybe there can be a thread rule - no one responds to a nasty post. That way the nastiness can't escalate.

Bruce

I agree, Amie/EE Roos are very "non-aggressive" towards humans. My big alpha, Cog (my avatar) just looks at my 5 year-old Grandson, and steps away when he wants to "chase the chickens" a bit. Cog doesn't get mean, he just guides all of the girls out of the line of fire. He's also quite good at pointing out food, and will NOT eat until the ladies are finished, or at least almost finished. He is also a fighter; he attacked a Sharp-Shinned Hawk that had a poor grip on Gamey, my Brood Hen. He fought long enough for me to arrive and end the whole encounter with some noise from the .45. I have since had other people relate their "my Roo fought a Hawk" stories, as well. What I call a good quality in an Alpha Roo.
Wow. This makes me hope that one of mine is a rooster! We currently have a Columbian Wyandotte rooster and he is quite retched. He's a beautiful bird but not what I had in mind personality wise. From all the pictures I have seen on this thread, EE roosters are some of the prettiest chickens I have seen.

My EE'er Lily before she died last year was the only girl I had that refused to sleep in the coop. She was on top of that coop every night like clockwork and she finally convinced Henley, her buddy, a Red Star to sleep up there with her. I miss my Lily!

Back
Top Bottom