The EE braggers thread!!!

Oops, double post.
hide.gif
Have these silly Easter-egger pictures to make up for it:

Opera singers and synchronized preeners! You have very talented chickens.

That last picture is great! I'd love to have an EE marked like those two Sebrights. That's what I assume they are. Yesterday my daughter was "helping" me with the chickens. She repeats "Helping! Helping" whenever we go to the chicken pen, even if she just hangs like a monkey from the roost pole. Anyway, she was standing in the run saying "Nice chicken" to the EE cockerel I have in with the ladies and petting his tail while I crouched nearby to keep an eye on things. For the most part he just ignored her and when he did take notice, he just walked away. Over the weekend she did get a peck from one of the pullets because she let herself into the coop and was trying to get eggs out from under the pullet in question.

I stand by the minimum handling rule when it comes to males. That's how I've had the best luck, just by always being flockmaster instead of one of the flock. I love being out near my chickens and will gently handle the females but only pick up my cocks when moving them from one pen to another, preferably at night.

About my rooster, whom I had decided to find a new home for? I actually found a home, with a friend of mine who needs a rooster for a new flock. Then about 3 days ago I brought my new dog outside with me, his owner died and the person who inherited him is not an animal person, and we wanted a second dog, so we adopted him. It hadn't occurred to me that the dogs could help with the rooster issue, but the new one, Buddy, loves going outside and is very curious about everything, and ignored my request that the dogs stay out of the chicken area and it's a good thing too because THE ROOSTER IS TOTALLY LEAVING ME ALONE, seeks to get out of the way, is not hassling me at all. Every time I go out, the dogs come out, the rooster minds his own business. Miracle!

I've never had a "working" dog before, had very few dogs anyway. Mostly cats. So here we are, fabulous working urban micro-farm dogs. Buddy the dog even brushed up against the rooster and I thought, oh no! But the rooster just mildly backed away through the chicken door in the fence.

I had seen an article in "Chicken" magazine about training your dog to help you herd your chickens. I guess some types are naturals. Buddy is a schnauzer-poodle cross and Jake is a pug.

I was so depressed at the problem in Chickenland that it was really affecting me-- even my sleep. I didn't even realize how down it had gotten me until the dogs fixed the problem and I recovered. Also, one of the vet-techs at my vet has a homestead up north of Lake Ponchartrain and when I asked if she had any EE hens she wanted to sell, it turned out they have 3 they had just recently discussed selling because the green, slightly smaller eggs aren't fitting in with the rest of their egg business. So it appears I will have the hens replaced soon (they just disappeared without a trace, apparently went out the front gate, which is now chicken-proofed). So all will soon be restored in Chickenland. I asked the Universe for solutions, and solutions were provided. I am very grateful.

With 9 Roos how many hens do you have? I have 3 roos now and I'm pretty sure a couple more in the brooder. Mine free range on 3 fenced in acers from about 2pm until they roost. They have a 320 sq ft barn. Just wondering if its feasible to keep any more.
At the moment I only have 21 adult hens, and they all free range from sun up till sunset. They have a copp its only used for sleeping and laying eggs it is 8 ft long at back and front and 12 feet along both sides and 6 ft tall. Some of the roosters are bantams and my hens are LF so most they can do is get a piggy back ride but my Hens are really good at letting them know who is boss.

I think I'm gonna get me more EE's.
Mine are not doing so well, my hatches are turning out mostly cockerals. Right now the only two "full" EE's that I have aren't laying too well. 1 to 2 eggs a week if I'm lucky.

This weather needs to clearup and quit being cold then hot and back and forth. Silly weather why can't it do what you want it to?

Have a nice EE day.

I think I'm gonna get me more EE's. Mine are not doing so well, my hatches are turning out mostly cockerals. Right now the only two "full" EE's that I have aren't laying too well. 1 to 2 eggs a week if I'm lucky. This weather needs to clearup and quit being cold then hot and back and forth. Silly weather why can't it do what you want it to? Have a nice EE day.
Yeah, the weather's been crazy here. snow to rain to sun and back to snow. It does need to clear up and actually be spring. I have coops to repair and fences to fix, chickens to get outside.....

Back
Top Bottom