The EE braggers thread!!!

Hey everyone! Just joining this thread. Been a long time lurker. Loved all the great colors and diversity. I am hatching my own EE's. I am working on egg color and size. My main hen. Quechua...

With her main man. Wolfgang...

I have nine week olds who are looking gorgeous. It will be hard to select my keepers.
hmm.png

I will have to post pics of my babies soon.
Wolfgang is GORGEOUS!!! I LOVE that blue feathering on his tail and bottom of wings and down!! He is certainly a beauty along with Quechu!

The 2 "sexed pullets " I bought from the feed store.... Both are roosters.
somad.gif
Good lookin guys but I don't think my neighbors will appreciate having them crow all day.I may try to keep one unless he gets to mean or too noisy.Which one do ya'll think will give me the best shot at carrying the blue egg gene in case I end up keeping one to breed to my hens? And how are the temperments on EE roosters in general? Do they tend to be very noisy?

somad.gif
Good lookin guys but I don't think my neighbors will appreciate having them crow all day.I may try to keep one unless he gets to mean or too noisy.Which one do ya'll think will give me the best shot at carrying the blue egg gene in case I end up keeping one to breed to my hens? And how are the temperments on EE roosters in general? Do they tend to be very noisy?

The black and white one has darker legs, and a tighter pea comb, so will probably carry the blue eggs gene. The only EE rooster I've ever met was MEAN but quite, lol. Mind you, my ameraucana, is the sweetest, most gentle rooster, so I think it just depends.

somad.gif

None of my EE roosters were ever mean. Noisy, a bit.. depending on how their body style was as to how their crows came out. The thinner ones always had a higher crow, the huskier ones a low melodic crow. I really like the black and white boy better, but he may change his coloring with the next molt.. I like his darker legs too. The other one looks exactly like what ALL my black/white EE chicks turned out to be.. and all boys too.

Last edited:
None of my EE roosters were ever mean. Noisy, a bit.. depending on how their body style was as to how their crows came out. The thinner ones always had a higher crow, the huskier ones a low melodic crow. I really like the black and white boy better, but he may change his coloring with the next molt.. I like his darker legs too. The other one looks exactly like what ALL my black/white EE chicks turned out to be.. and all boys too.
Thanks for the replies! Still looking for more opinions from all the rest of the EE owners out there. The black one is going to be a big boy!They are a month behind in age from my pullets(bought as soon as they arrived at the feed store march 14 this year) and already the same size as my pullets(barred rocks,red sex link, buff Orp,hatchery new hamp red bought in middle of Feb).The black one is thicker and heavier(hes got legs like tree trunks!!) than the white, but its not my hubbys favorite of course.
he.gif
lol!! He's also established himself as more dominant.They are buds and hang together constantly.They usually only play fight occasionally. I hate to seperate them I may just give both of them away as a pair to my parents,i know they will be cared for and loved with them.Roosters raised together usually can get along pretty well right?Still disappointed that I now have to start over in finding some blue laying hens.
sad.png

My EE rooster was LOUD in the pre-dawn hours but pretty quiet during the day. Not at all human aggressive but could be a bit rough on his ladies (and so busy that he bared all six!). He would have done best as a subordinate rooster in a large flock.

I don't think you can tell how they'll be until the hormones are in full swing. But, I like the look of the black-headed one just because it's less common.

Last edited:
I can finally start seeing what my chicks are going to look like at full size. They are right about 4-5 weeks right now. When can you tell if they are hens or roos? They are supposed to be all hens and most of them seem to be filling out like hens. Just really curious. Thanks

Thanks for the replies! Still looking for more opinions from all the rest of the EE owners out there. The black one is going to be a big boy!They are a month behind in age from my pullets(bought as soon as they arrived at the feed store march 14 this year) and already the same size as my pullets(barred rocks,red sex link, buff Orp,hatchery new hamp red bought in middle of Feb).The black one is thicker and heavier(hes got legs like tree trunks!!) than the white, but its not my hubbys favorite of course.
he.gif
lol!! He's also established himself as more dominant.They are buds and hang together constantly.They usually only play fight occasionally. I hate to seperate them I may just give both of them away as a pair to my parents,i know they will be cared for and loved with them.Roosters raised together usually can get along pretty well right?Still disappointed that I now have to start over in finding some blue laying hens.
sad.png
It is up to you as far as feeding two "extra" chickens but if you are going to roll the dice on having roosters in town; I would keep both and see how things turn out. One may be aggressive or noisy and the choice would be made for you. Many times a beta(?) rooster will not crow with the alpha still around. Do you have enough hens to handle 2 boys?

If you need to choose today and if it were me, I would keep the black one. As stated before the bigger ones usually have a lower crow (less annoying IMO) and I would guess he is more likely to carry a blue egg gene. Also, if your hubby like the lighter one b/c he is more colorful. The b&w boy may get some red patches as he grows out and molts.

GOOD LUCK!!

Back
Top Bottom