The EE braggers thread!!!

Was that bin labeled Pullets??
Yes. it was mislabeled as ameracauna sexed pullets... So guess thats 2 strikes against them, since they are easter eggers and obviously not ameracaunas.
lau.gif

Last edited:
There was someone on BYC who ordered three started pullet EEs from a big hatchery and got all boys!

Mistakes happen, I guess, but it does seem to be exceptionally bad luck to grab two cockerels from a bin that is presumably 90% pullets. I've ordered 18 sexed pullets so far and only got one cockerel in the lot. He happened to be an EE but I don't think that's because he was EE but rather that 7 of the 18 were EEs.
I want to go chick shopping with you next time, you seem to have excellent luck.
wink.png

That is so frustrating!!! I would be totally stoked about that!! Hope that you find good homes for the roos!
they will be rehomed with my parents who are just starting a new flock.I'm sure they will enjoy them as much as the kids and I have.I'm really bummed about having to give them up though.

Quote:
I don't think there is a "Chicken Genetics for Dummies" book out yet.... Chicken genetics are tough. If you play with the chicken calculator it will show you what it does on the chicken pictures. I have been reading on the Silkies Genetics thread and have learned a lot so far - but I know I still have a long way to go.

Basics are this:

All chickens carry a pair of genes. That's what the E/E, etc means - _/_ is the pair. The top line is the "base color" then it goes down modifiers of the feather colors from there. If you want to know what the gene is called it is over to the left. Capitals (ie Bl) mean its dominant (shows if there) and lower case (ie bl) means its recessive and will only show if two copies. It starts out with the basic wild-type chickens with no special modifiers/color patterns (default). Some genes the hen only gives one copy so they are called "Sex Linked" (Barred, Chocolate and Silver) The Male has two possibilities to give - the hen can only give one. The pictures up top will give you a basic description of what the color is called with the modifiers you selected. The far right will show what changes from the default when you add that modifier. When you want to see what the children will end up being you click on the Calculate Crossing button on the bottom.. that will be all the kids and what percentages will be, and how many you will have to hatch to get them.

I use this one: http://kippenjungle

HOWEVER - EEs are already mixed up genetics. I have no clue what to start with on that calculator, every bird is different. They are not all wild-type or they would all look the same. The wild type chick is that chipmunk chick so many of them look like when babies - but they have so much mix in there it is impossible to predict what they will turn out like. I know my White Roo carried the pattern gene because his juvie feathers were pretty and barred - they all turned white when he was old and nothing left to show it is in his genetics. Some have Bl (Blue) because I have a bird with blue in her tail - but regular wild-type patterns elsewhere. Easter Eggers are the hardest to predict - even using the calculator. I haven't used it for them - only for the solid colored birds (Black x Buff) or I tried to use it for Partridge Silkies - except Partridge is a weird color in Silkies too so that didn't work as expected..

Its fun to play with - if you know what genetics your birds carry already. Its annoying if you don't know what you have - you have nowhere to start! Also - its really easy to change the genetics by a push of a button on the calculator - I haven't found the right buttons to push on my birds to change their genetics
wink.png

I don't think there is a "Chicken Genetics for Dummies" book out yet.... Chicken genetics are tough. If you play with the chicken calculator it will show you what it does on the chicken pictures. I have been reading on the Silkies Genetics thread and have learned a lot so far - but I know I still have a long way to go.

Basics are this:

All chickens carry a pair of genes. That's what the E/E, etc means - _/_ is the pair. The top line is the "base color" then it goes down modifiers of the feather colors from there. If you want to know what the gene is called it is over to the left. Capitals (ie Bl) mean its dominant (shows if there) and lower case (ie bl) means its recessive and will only show if two copies. It starts out with the basic wild-type chickens with no special modifiers/color patterns (default). Some genes the hen only gives one copy so they are called "Sex Linked" (Barred, Chocolate and Silver) The Male has two possibilities to give - the hen can only give one. The pictures up top will give you a basic description of what the color is called with the modifiers you selected. The far right will show what changes from the default when you add that modifier. When you want to see what the children will end up being you click on the Calculate Crossing button on the bottom.. that will be all the kids and what percentages will be, and how many you will have to hatch to get them.

I use this one: http://kippenjungle

HOWEVER - EEs are already mixed up genetics. I have no clue what to start with on that calculator, every bird is different. They are not all wild-type or they would all look the same. The wild type chick is that chipmunk chick so many of them look like when babies - but they have so much mix in there it is impossible to predict what they will turn out like. I know my White Roo carried the pattern gene because his juvie feathers were pretty and barred - they all turned white when he was old and nothing left to show it is in his genetics. Some have Bl (Blue) because I have a bird with blue in her tail - but regular wild-type patterns elsewhere. Easter Eggers are the hardest to predict - even using the calculator. I haven't used it for them - only for the solid colored birds (Black x Buff) or I tried to use it for Partridge Silkies - except Partridge is a weird color in Silkies too so that didn't work as expected..

Its fun to play with - if you know what genetics your birds carry already. Its annoying if you don't know what you have - you have nowhere to start! Also - its really easy to change the genetics by a push of a button on the calculator - I haven't found the right buttons to push on my birds to change their genetics
wink.png
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/228964/genetics-for-dummies Not a book but I bet it is as good as one!

Back
Top Bottom