The EE braggers thread!!!

All at the same time in early March of last year. That's why I tell people it can happen at any time!
Of my 4 EE's (sadly one died suddenly a few months ago) only 2 lay green so I know she wasn't laying because I finally had gotten another green egg! All along I was assuming she was laying a brownish egg because I figured she had to be laying! But was surprised one morning in January or Feb to find a different colored green egg!!! My EE's are my best layers too!! Even over my Black Austrlorpes!

The first 2 lay green and the last 2 cream. One is a bit pinkish but still cream.

They're lovely!
How old is the first girl?
She looks a lot like one of mine. I'm wondering if she'll get more salmon on her...

here are some pictures of them
this pic was taken today

my EEs and leghorn chicks

the cross beak

i was also wondering if this was a roo?

my son named him crocodile supreme
I don't see anything screaming roo in the last ones. How old is he/she again?
Maybe a side/profile picture would help?

Introducing 2 flocks is so nerve racking! I have my 3 weekers in the same "run" as my 9 weekers but there are plenty of places to hide as well as the littles being able to get under the gate.
So, tadkins472, the standard procedure is to let them see each other but have some barrier that prevents them from chasing and pecking. Like a cage inside of the coop or a fenced off area in the run. If you have a run that is large enough for multiple hiding places, you can try letting them both in the run and see how it goes.
Do you have a run?
The other advice I've seen is to put the new ones in at night and in the am make a lot of commotion while feeding so all the birds focus their attention on you instead of realizing there are new birds. I don't quite buy that one - I'm pretty sure mine wouldn't be fooled by that but maybe if they were already acclimated to seeing the new birds through a screen ...
@sekeyslaks I think the same thing when I hear people calling EEs mutts but then going on to say this other bird is breed x breed and not call it a mutt at all.
Thanks! I did the night time thing when i put my Cornish X in there for the few weeks before butchering it worked out well. I think i may set them in a dog cage next to the run so they can see each other everyday this week.(bringing them in at night) and this weekend ill introduce them to the coop.

They're lovely!
How old is the first girl?
She looks a lot like one of mine. I'm wondering if she'll get more salmon on her

That's Izzy and was a pic from this past winter so she was about 1yr old. She stopped laying for the whole winter, only one of my flock to do that, and I missed her pretty green eggs. Hopefully that means she will lay longer?

Thanks! I did the night time thing when i put my Cornish X in there for the few weeks before butchering it worked out well. I think i may set them in a dog cage next to the run so they can see each other everyday this week.(bringing them in at night) and this weekend ill introduce them to the coop.

Yeah, sounds like a good plan - let us know how it goes!

I'm so sad! My broody hen has given up on her eggs she was sitting on and is hanging out with the chicks we have. I candle the eggs in her nest today and the only egg that looks like it was fully developed was a green egg :(

That's Izzy and was a pic from this past winter so she was about 1yr old. She stopped laying for the whole winter, only one of my flock to do that, and I missed her pretty green eggs. Hopefully that means she will lay longer?
Fingers crossed! Mine's not even 6 months. Can't wait to see if she ends up looking like that.

the first picture and the last picture are of the same chick it's about 8 weeks now I got them April 29th
B&Ws are always tricky...I only see one row of peas on the comb...
Is the comb brighter than the others?
I kind of want to say pullet..based on what I can see.
Any red feathers poking through on the wings or tail?

B&Ws are always tricky...I only see one row of peas on the comb...
Is the comb brighter than the others?
I kind of want to say pullet..based on what I can see.
Any red feathers poking through on the wings or tail?
[/quote]
i haven't seen any red feathers on any part of the chick

I have a Questions. I have 3 EE's in my coop now that are roughly a year old and have 4 other hens/chicks i have been raising (2EE/2BR) that are roughly the same height that are 11 weeks old. When can I introduce them into the coop?

I use a introduction cage like this one for a week or so .....

This is just a taller introduction cage and it is just so they
can see each other before a pecking order is established
and that is just a normal part of life foe them ........

gander007
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom