The EE braggers thread!!!

Quote:
An olive egger is just a certain type of Easter Egger that lays darker green eggs.
Orps shade of eggs can vary from barely tinted "creamy" colored to dark brown, really quite a bit of variation in them .

The rule of thumb is that the offspring will lay "between" the color of egg of the lines they come from. Basically between that of the hen and lets say that which the Rooster would have laid had he been a hen....if that makes sense? LOL SOme use the color of egg the rooster was hatched from for this reference, but really then your only considering the roosters mother....what if he was hatched from a very blue egg and had a Marans father?

You can also tell a bit by what your roosters other offspring lay to help with prediction.

The easy answer: If your buff orps tend to lay a darker egg than your EE..the mix will give you a darker green than what you are getting now.
Usually you only get "Olive" colored eggs from a really dark mix such as Marans or some Welsummers, etc...

The EE's I have had from BO mixes are generally about the color of the darker egg in your picture.

Last edited:
Blue egg alert

Hello, so we got our first EE eggs, depending on the lighting it it light blue or almost a greenish tint. Here is a shot of it,it was 40 grams, unsure of who is the first EE that laid. I am trying to be a detective to figure out which out if our 23 hens is laying which eggs and which ones are laying or not. You can see how large it is compared to the eggs that were all collected yesterday.

wee.gif
Hurray for pretty blue/green eggs! I can't WAIT to see what I get from my girls. It is kind of like being pregnant and waiting until the baby is born to see if it's a boy or girl. Ok, maybe the anticipation isn't QUITE like that, but for a person like me that loves surprises, I am excited!

An olive egger is just a certain type of Easter Egger that lays darker green eggs.
Orps shade of eggs can vary from barely tinted "creamy" colored to dark brown, really quite a bit of variation in them .

The rule of thumb is that the offspring will lay "between" the color of egg of the lines they come from. Basically between that of the hen and lets say that which the Rooster would have laid had he been a hen....if that makes sense? LOL SOme use the color of egg the rooster was hatched from for this reference, but really then your only considering the roosters mother....what if he was hatched from a very blue egg and had a Marans father?

You can also tell a bit by what your roosters other offspring lay to help with prediction.

The easy answer: If your buff orps tend to lay a darker egg than your EE..the mix will give you a darker green than what you are getting now.
Usually you only get "Olive" colored eggs from a really dark mix such as Marans or some Welsummers, etc...

The EE's I have had from BO mixes are generally about the color of the darker egg in your picture.

Ok thanks again for the schooling on genetics. So I guess we won't have a clue until we have some babies....our BO came from Meyer so I didn't have the privilege to see the parents.

Also had a question about roosters, or I guess just a statement and maybe people can share their experiences.

So yesterday, Little One's pre-game warm up was a couple hours. She ran around making all sorts of noise,looking for places to go. Long story short, I observed Bruno (one of our BO) he came over to the nest box and watched her after she carried on, he climbed in the nest box. She crawled out and perched on the edge and he made clucking sounds and scratched around the nest and then nestled down for about 10 minutes, all the time Little One and the rooster coo'd and clucked to each other. Then he got out and she got in the nest box again. So do roosters help chicks with sitting on eggs? Or what was that behavior about, any educated guesses?

He was just being a smart fella. The Mrs was throwing a fit and like any smart man he said "Yes Dear" and did as he was told!! Lol

We have a Papa Rooster. He's never set eggs, but he does help brood chicks. Right now he has 3 ten week old chicks that still cuddle up under his wings at night.

He was just being a smart fella. The Mrs was throwing a fit and like any smart man he said "Yes Dear" and did as he was told!! Lol

We have a Papa Rooster. He's never set eggs, but he does help brood chicks. Right now he has 3 ten week old chicks that still cuddle up under his wings at night.
well I am glad that he is listening, as she was noisy! Anyway, that is cute that they help brood chicks, hopefully Bruno has got it in him. He is the beta out of the roo's. He seems to be more warm and talkative to the girls than Rocco. Rocco just exudes his top rank, he isn't much for show.....Bruno is a ladies man, lol!

well I am glad that he is listening, as she was noisy! Anyway, that is cute that they help brood chicks, hopefully Bruno has got it in him. He is the beta out of the roo's. He seems to be more warm and talkative to the girls than Rocco. Rocco just exudes his top rank, he isn't much for show.....Bruno is a ladies man, lol!
"ladies maaaan...." love that song!

Oh since I haven't had a successful broody I went and got more chicks today 4 "amerucanas" 1 sex link and 1 California white. I called it a leghorn when i told the lady what chicks i wantedand she promptly corrected me

Back
Top Bottom