The EE braggers thread!!!

He sure did. I actually started questioning his gender for a bit there, but in the second picture his feathers just started getting more splotchy and the tell-tale red was just barely starting to show up on his shoulders. It seems like his comb was the last to grow, seemingly overnight.

I couldn't be more happy, though. I wanted an EE rooster to *hopefully* keep the blue egg gene going for future hatches in my flock and provide a second set of eyes on the sky for hawks. I may never know if he carries the blue egg gene or not, but he sure is nice to look at! My husband calls him "pretty boy". He is skittish, but attentive to the flock and operating nicely as a beta to my older SLW rooster. They all get along well and he has not challenged him (or me) yet. He is 29 weeks old now.

Gander007

Do you use supplemental light (since you are in Alaska)? I've been hoping for my first egg from my EEs that turned 24 weeks today., here in California. Love your egg color!

Last edited:
26 weeks wow nice egg for her first egg but if you add some protine to her diet she will do much better and rabbit pellits soaked in water till it turnes to a much and mixed with her reguler feed really do the trick as I have had pullets as early as 14 weeks start to produce 3 egg's a week with this little trick but also every chicken is different ..... She is the one I am writting about and by 32 weeks hatched out her seconed set of chicks ... Her she is the morning I found her with her seconed hatchlings in the early morning .....
Thanks for the advice! I love your pretty hen!! Penny had been laying almost every day and they are getting bigger, too. Today's was 53 grams and the earlier ones were 46-7.
My Australorp laid that little brown egg today - her first!! I bought live meal worms for my layers. Penny thinks she gets to do her egg song ALLL DAY LONG. So proud!

A really great looking flock you have
D.gif
Thanks...I'm pretty happy with them.

Gander007

Do you use supplemental light (since you are in Alaska)? I've been hoping for my first egg from my EEs that turned 24 weeks today., here in California. Love your egg color!
Yes, I put lights up for them a couple of weeks ago. We're down to 8.5 hours of light a day and we'll get down to just over 6 before start gaining light again. Plus the fall and winter is really rainy here so it's often dark and gloomy even before the sun sets. Not enough light for people never mind chickens! I just have a strand of christmas lights in the coop and another in the enclosed run so they get 14 hours of light a day. I'm not sure how much light you get in CA. I've heard EE can lay even without supplemental lights but I really wanted eggs and we get so little daylight it seemed the way to go for me. Hopefully your girls give you some eggs soon.

The girls were making quite a fuss this morning and when I went out to check on them 2 eggs! Another nice olive like my 1st and a lighter colored sort of a pale bluish green. So now I have 2 girls who are producing!

Here are the two olive eggs (on top) the lighter blueish green one, and a regular store egg for comparison. My girls eggs seem to be about the same length as the large store egg but quite a bit smaller in girth.

Back
Top Bottom