The EE braggers thread!!!

I got 2 bantam roosters once, and its so weird, they were SO SMALL! as small as a 3 week old EE! they both stopped growing a little after I got them... They had the face of chicks also.
Same with mine! I only have the 1 bantam girl (white one in middle) and she was 1 month OLDER than the others. Now her flock mates are almost 3 times her size.

this isn't EXACTLY about EE's, but is it normal for full grown chickens to have black, almost burnt looking spots on their comb? I saw a couple of them on my 2 year old RIR.

I have an EE chick that I'm starting to think is a rooster.. Is their a way to tell if it is at 2-3 weeks old?
Look at the wing feather growth. If it looks pretty even with primary feathers just a little longer than secondary then most likely a girly. If the wing feathering looks stunted (compared to body size)

with the primary much longer than the secondary then most likely a boy.

Im pretty sure is a girl:

Im pretty sure is boy:

Girls look feather heavy in the wing compared to boys.

this isn't EXACTLY about EE's, but is it normal for full grown chickens to have black, almost burnt looking spots on their comb? I saw a couple of them on my 2 year old RIR.

Sounds like frostbite. Chickens, especially roosters with larger combs are more prone to it. Make sure there are ventilation cuts in your coop to keep it drier and if, possible, water outside the coop. You can also Vaseline combs in cold weather.
In a damp coop, combs are more likely to get frostbitten.

That's weird, it's pretty dry in there. We did just have a pretty hard winter in Ohio, though... Maybe I just didn't notice in the winter? I'm not sure but I will try that Vaseline, I used it a lot, so I have, well, a lot! Thanks!

Also, thanks Lobzi! I'll have to check. The one I'm thinking is a rooster, looks JUST like my old rooster, same size and everything, only thing that was different is breed, and color a little bit. My old rooster was a bantam. Oh, and the wings also look thin, but long.. Man, I wish I could get a picture!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom