The EE braggers thread!!!

Same chick as above, top beak curling over bottom beak. I posted the question elsewhere but didn’t get an answer: should I trim the overhanging hook? And how far back do I trim it?

View attachment 1380216
I just replied to your other post, but I wanted to say that While her bottom beak isn't deviated, it will only be more and more difficult for her to eat. Your either going to need to cull her or learn to trim her beak on a regular basis. As for trimming, just remember there is a quick in there, like a dog or cat's claw.

Thanks for the input guys. Will attempt the trim and hope for the best. It’s one of a group of chicks I’m raising up alonngside our chicks for a friend - but this one is the “special” chick her son picked out at the farm so fingers crossed for things to work out.

IMG_20180312_113302.jpg

Update: she did ok until this week when she seems to have stopped being able to successfully feed. Today today seemed sluggish, unable to successfully swallow though pecking constantly at moistened food. Very thin under her feathers and crop empty. We did the right thing and culled her tonight.

I just replied to your other post, but I wanted to say that While her bottom beak isn't deviated, it will only be more and more difficult for her to eat. Your either going to need to cull her or learn to trim her beak on a regular basis. As for trimming, just remember there is a quick in there, like a dog or cat's claw.

we had that happen and we attempted to trim but we had to end culling the chick because it couldn't eat unless we hand fed it...

Sometimes the hard decision is the best one. Not doing the bird any favors if it can't eat by itself.

Thanks for the input guys. Will attempt the trim and hope for the best. It’s one of a group of chicks I’m raising up alonngside our chicks for a friend - but this one is the “special” chick her son picked out at the farm so fingers crossed for things to work out.

Update: she did ok until this week when she seems to have stopped being able to successfully feed. Today today seemed sluggish, unable to successfully swallow though pecking constantly at moistened food. Very thin under her feathers and crop empty. We did the right thing and culled her tonight.

I know it was hard, but it was probably for the best.

Back
Top Bottom