The EE braggers thread!!!

My first EE egg. So proud of my girls!!!

86468_july-aug_2001_098.jpg

Pink is in the eye of the beholder. To me a true pink is a good normal brown with an extra coating of white over it, which can easily disappear when wet. Such trait pops up in just about any breed - It isn't actually a breed specific trait.

However, some breeds naturally do lay a light brown egg reminiscent to pink, more so than most "brown" eggs. These include Sussex, Jersey Giants, and Wyandottes.

New Chicken Peeps. Easter Eggers are so named due to the many varieties of colored feathers and eggs. Many but not all lay blue or blue green eggs. It has been noted that many also have pea combs. Genes come in pairs, therefor a chicken can have a genes from two different eggs colors, or two genes of the same color. EE are combination chickens. There is a variety of breeds in their make-up. They do not breed true which means that you can not predict what their offsprings will look like. If you have a particular breed say Welsummer that all stay together, one rooster and ten hens all Welsummers, all babies will be born Welsummers and will grow up to be little examples of their parents. Plus all of the hens will lay dark brown eggs. This is called a Pure Breed, the outcome is predictable, they breed true to standard of their parents.

laniered So when I commented on your handsome rooster, I wanted you to understand that the colors of the feathers and feet are found in two other breeds that I know of; Sussex (English Breed) and Russian Orloff. So I concluded somewhere along the line Dusty has either of those breeds in his make-up.

Quote:
kinda looks like he might have a little Salmon Fav. in him too, he is very handsome!
20212_photo-0172.jpg
My Oliver Salmon Fav. Roo. the girls keep pulling out his tail feathers!

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for the replies (and the compliment)!!

Stormy lady, I understand exactly what you're saying, and no problems here! I think he's pretty, too, but he surprised me. I really didn't expect that at all from that little yellow chipmunk!

Quote:
I asked at my tsc if they will be getting a fall shipment in like in their pamphlet and she said no that all TSC will not be getting any.. I was very disappointed. Ill be a different one sat and Ill ask them...

Well when I had called TSC earlier this summer to ask about chicks I was told then that they may get more in August. The girl I talked to yesterday when I called said that sometimes the main office will send chicks out in August to see how they sell. She said they did last year and it was the first year they sent "Ameracaunas". The girl said at that time she hadn't heard anything about them sending any chicks for August yet. I just told her I'll keep checking back with them. I don't go to TSC ona regular basis, but there are 2 close to me that I can go to. If one of them gets chicks and they are "Ameracauna", I want to go up there and get a couple more in different colors. I'm just afraid all of mine are going to look so similar, and I think it will be boring to have all of them basically the same color. My one and only local feed store has a ton of RIR chicks they are still trying to get rid of so they have no plans to order more chicks right now.
sad.png
I've been looking at Craigslist (which is where I found the EEs I have), but noone has young chicks. I want chicks close in age to the ones I have right now. I'm afraid if I get some too much older they'll pick on the younger ones.
idunno.gif

I think I have finally read through all 463 pages of this thread!
woot.gif
Now maybe I won't have to be on it so long, just long enough to catch up for the day! DH has been getting annoyed when I am on the "chicken site" all the time! Still want more chicks though!
big_smile.png

This is my Blue Laced Red Wyandotte x Ameraucana EE:

I went to a friend's farm the other day and she has several that look just like her from the same place I got my hatching eggs! Most are splash, but there was one gorgeous blue hen. What I wouldn't do for a whole flock of these kids. Wish I could have a roo!

(In the background are my Polish x Broiler cross, Cochin EE, and beardless Orloff.)

So I was looking on my local craigslist for chicks and I had to laugh at some people who listed "Ameracuana" then had pictures of obvious EEs. There was also a guy who was looking for an Americana (yes that's how he spelled it) rooster to go with his hens and even said "they are sometimes called Easter Eggers". Then the best one was someone who had advertised that they had 2 Aracauna hens and the picture had a tail and was an obvious EE! So tempting to correct people, but I kept out of it. If someone wants to be uninformed then that is their problem. I will gladly educate my friends and family who are interested,and maybe even someone I met in person who was selling something wrong, but total strangers listing on CL are on their own! More than likely they were misinformed themselves anyway. Not everyone does their breed research. They'd do it on a dog,cat, goat, cow, and any other farm animal or pet but I think most people just think chickens are just there to provide eggs and/or food and the breeding doesn't really matter.

Back
Top Bottom