The Eglu

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow. i wa actually trying to convince my mom to let us get an eglu until I read this. thanks for saving me!!!
clap.gif
thumbsup.gif

Have you read the entire thread. There are far more pros to owning an Eglu than cons. Choose what you will, but let it be said that the Eglu is a quality product.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm pleased you think the Omlet cube is a quality product
smile.png
. However, stating that the eglu is "too small" is a bit misleading, if you don't mind me saying so. The eglu itself can house up to 4 medium sized hens (bearing in mind they only sleep and lay in it). It is the size of the run that is the important factor - the standard Omlet run is 2 metres long but it is possible to buy extra pieces of run to extend your run by however many metres you want. I have a 3 metre run for my 3 girls. Admittedly, I like to let them freerange as much as possible rather than keeping them "cooped up" but a run attached to a wooden coop could be just the same size.

Quote:
Don't be too hasty - the negative points raised about eglus are mostly inaccurate or at best, ill-informed.

Quote:
This is a false statement. The Eglu do NOT wear out quickly and they are in fact predator proof. As far as blowing across a yard...I suppose if it were a hurricane or tornado that might happen, but the same can be said for a wooden coop.

It is one thing to disagree but saying what he said was not true is going to far. Maybe there was extreme weather conditions or his chickens where very damaging. Also, he did not say how quickly it was. He just said quickly. That could be a long time just not compared to these coops that last 10 or 20 years

And, as what was said in the last thread the eglu is not to small but what i meant was i prefer a bigger area for my chickens. The eglu does not leave much room for expansion. The eglu does seem hardy and if you only want 2-3 chickens it is great as long as you have a big enough run or let them free range.

Last edited:
Wow guys! Now I don't know what to think. I know the Eglu is too small for me, as I won't be able to resist getting more chickens. But the Cube looks SO COOL!!! But it is SOOO expensive Then again, so is the Henspa, Chik -n- hutch, etc.. It's kind of funny to think of a $2 chicken in a $1000 cage. I really appreciate everyones thoughts - I love this website! Nice knowing there are people out there who don't think I am totally insane for getting chickens in the burbs.

In Arizona ANYTHING plastic will be ruined in one summer. The harsh sun here will destroy it. With the harsh summer heat, you would want to think of something else for here. Egglus look cute, but for the desert steer clear of anything with plastic. I'm building an adobe hen haus right now, maybe try that? Or stucco? BTW I'm in Mesa, PM me if you'd like. ;0)

Last edited:
Namaste Mama, you are right about the harsh sun, but wood would fall apart even quicker, especially when you think about how dry it is....I vowed that I would never again buy wooden patio furniture. How on earth are you going to build an adobe coop? Maybe I should just keep my girls in the house!

The dirt here is perfect for adobe. You just dig it up, add water and plop it in a wooden frame and let it dry. Theres lots of instructions online on how to build adobe. I have left over roof tiles I'll use for the roofing. Its slow going but its should turn out pretty neat.
big_smile.png
Wood should be ok if its painted, I have a wooden A frame hen haus thats held up just fine. ;0)

Last edited:
I DID NOT make any false statements!

The frist eglu I got the door had been broken off by the previous owners son and being plastic she didn't know how to repair it. I have a drill and some knowledge on how to kobble together solutions so got some modified hinges to work.

The second eglu had had it's run destroyed by a large dog. The hens had been spared only because they fled inside and a neighbor stopped the dog in time. That owner opted for a wooden coop with a much stronger run. It was her own dog.

Eglu's are NOT predator proof against a larger dog or a determined bobcat. I have both to deal with. Roaming neighbor dogs, bobcats, bears and cougars. None of my coops are proof against bears or cougars but they get slowed down long enough for me to respond with a rifle.

The eglu that blew across my yard was runless, doorless and empty. No doubt the open door way made it a plastic parachute and it went sailing over a 4 ft fence. I also had a 50g metal drum go flying that night as well as all our patio furniture.

In the future if you think someone of lieing why don't you ask for clarifications first. Honestly, why in heck would I bother lieing about eglu's?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom