The Eglu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Total load of rubbish. I have an eglu and two cubes which have NOT worn out at all and which give more than adequate housing to all 19 of our girls. I use the eglu for our bantams and the cubes are housing our hybrids and pure breeds. In fact, although the cubes are designed to house ten hens comfortably, I regularly have up to 15 girls sleeping in one cube through choice (mine free range all day every day and sleep where they want to each night).

They are totally safe from predators having the fox proof run.

All in all, eglus are the perfect choice for keeping hens. I agree with the last poster...any coop would blow away in extremes of weather but I have never had an eglu or cube blow around the garden and we have had some really bad winds over the last year. There are no issues moving them and my family are really pleased with the product.

There is also a greatly reduced risk of red mite infestations with the plastic coops.

I realise that plastic coops are not everybody's choice but please do not bad mouth them in ways that they do not deserve.

what we did was get a big wooden packing crate with the lid and turn it into a little house. it didnt cost all that much either! all my husband had to do was buy some hinges to hang the lid as a door,drill some air holes at the top, and then paint it. then he bought some plywood and made nest boxes. i would try to scavenge building materials or a crate like we did off of craigslist, or even your local lumberyard. i would say that we spent maybe 60 dollars to build the initial house, paint included.

Though I don't have one...If I could afford the Eglu Cube I would get one in a heartbeat. Friends of mine have the Eglu and they love it!!

Quote:
I would have to take issue with the above statement.

I have 4 eglus and a cube and am delighted with them.

We have very gusty weather here in Yorkshire, and I have never had an Eglu blow about in the manner you describe.

One of my Eglus is 4 years old and is still in excellent condition.

The biggest plus for me is that remite infestations are almost unheard of in Eglus, and on the rare occasions that they do crop up, they are very easily treated, whereas in a wooden house this tends not to be the case

Please visit our friendly ** forum** and the **Omlet Website** for a true picture and accurate information.

Edited because of embarrassing spelling mistake.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my top hen Ouiser......I have four living in an Eglu. As you can clearly see, she is stressed out from living in "cramped" living quarters NOT!

25a51dfe.jpg

Last edited:
Oddly enough we recently had the remnant of a hurricane come through Ohio. It produced 80 MPH winds, downed huge trees, damaged roofs, ripped siding off houses, and downed power lines. Our Eglu did not move one centimeter and my chickens were safe and sound. We even had branches from trees come down and hit the Eglu and the run, they remain as good as new. I was skeptical of the Eglu and wanted to build an ark. My wife really liked what she found in researching and speaking with actual Eglu owners. It is a great design (insulated, ventilation, easy to clean, and predator proof if set up correctly), can be ordered with extended runs, and full run covers. Our chickens are healthy, happy, and safe. It is great for a person who wants a few chickens in an easy to maintain housing. My skepticism of the Eglu has been resolved by actually owning one.

---Mark

Well said IrishM
big_smile.png
Glad to hear that your girls were not affected by the hurricane.

I have kept chickens in my Eglu for 3.5 years and it shows absolutely no signs of any wear. Its a dream to clean and I would highly recommend one.

Columbiacritter, what was worn out on the Eglus you were given? What needed to be repaired? I haven't seen people posting about having predator problems on the Eglu forum. If you were looking at a damaged coop, I can certainly see where you'd think they weren't predator proof.

I have visited the forums for Eglu owners and know that they have a lot of very satisfied customers and repeat customers. That's the main reason I didn't want people on this forum to get the idea that they are just junk and that everyone that buys one regrets it. Although, we seem to have some enthusiastic owners on this thread, now!

Some products consistently have particular problems. Some products have consistent high quality. Any product line, even a good one, can produce an occasional lemon. Conditions a product are used in are not the same in every household, either. These things are true for anything that is produced, even chicken coops.

I believe Omlet carries stakes, to secure the run to the ground. In extremely windy conditions in an exposed area, that would certainly be an option.

I have an eglu and am delighted with it. I live in Scotland - known for its bad weather and strong winds - and my eglu easily withstood snow and gale force winds and protected my hens from both. The run is fox resistant and the eglu itself is totally fox proof if the door is closed.

I compared costings for a wooden coop/run and eglu. When I took into account the likely cost and time involved in maintaining and cleaning a wooden coop and the risk of red mite infestation, I decided that an eglu was right for me.

I can't understand how the earlier poster's eglu "wore out". There are spare parts available if any moveable parts needed replacing (which is unlikely). The plastic can't wear out.

I have 3 medium sized hybrid hens and they have plenty of room in their eglu and run. They freerange for a good part of each day. They each lay eggs every day and (touch wood) haven't had any health problems so they can't be too unhappy!

Obviously it is a matter of personal preference but it would be useful if accurate facts (for both wooden and plastic hen houses) were stated to help people make their own minds up.

I just think the eglu is to small as i stated before but if i had the money i would get a cube in a heartbeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom