The EMERGENCY Thread!!!

Pics
Not Much Of An Emergency

*As to my flock with Fowl Pox, they seem to be getting better, as the little warts are getting smaller.

But today, as I went out I saw one of my chicks has a droopy eyelid? I'm not sure if its just more symptoms of fowl pox or something else that needs to be dealt with. He may have been pecked by his brother, or trampled on by mom while free ranging. But just checking.

That kinda looks like Eye worm to me.
0.jpg

Not Much Of An Emergency

*As to my flock with Fowl Pox, they seem to be getting better, as the little warts are getting smaller.

But today, as I went out I saw one of my chicks has a droopy eyelid? I'm not sure if its just more symptoms of fowl pox or something else that needs to be dealt with. He may have been pecked by his brother, or trampled on by mom while free ranging. But just checking.
I don't see it well in the pic but looks like a small scab on the bottom. if scab it will grow bigger. check for worms and watch. in case it is a scab put some ointment in the eye and iodine on the scab (not in the eye).

New Emergency: Rooster developed pathetic crow, now almost can't crow and wheezing when exerted

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) - 2nd Gseneration Golden Comet Rooster with Female Coloring, Hatched March 2016 (so 9 months or so) - He is lighter than our Delaware Rooster hatched in July 2016...but the DE Rooster has been growing fast....so unsure if weight is related to the

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Was a normal top dog rooster crowing and fighting and mating. crow became pathetic, started to improve slightly, and now on day 4 he has almost no crow sound at all and wheezing when exerted.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?4 or 4.5 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. maybe some frostbite on comb tips from cold spell about a week ago. we had freezing temps for several days straight and some snow and sleet

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - see # 5 answer

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. -Eats grower/layer crumbles,table scraps, and has been getting into the deer corn and bird seed. his normal food routine just like the others, eatting, drinking, mating and fighting like normal - just can't crow like normal and now weezing when exerted

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - best we can tell, normal poop

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Cotton swab tested for Gape worms 2 days ago, nothing seen. Gave Apple Cider Vinegar 3 days ago and added Diatomaceous Earth to the chicken feed

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - would like to treat ourselves at home

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. - not relevant

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use- wood coop off ground with straw/hay

I believe I have given all the requested info - other than to say this is our first flock of 14 chickens and I know little about raising them - I'm sure I've made plenty of mistakes along the way....

Last edited:
Did you know that Gapeworms live in the trachea, not the esophagus? So the cotton swab test proves nothing... Gapes are not that common in chickens, so probably not that. My best guess is that he has a respiratory infection, but it could be gapes, or maybe even air sac mites. Best thing would be to have a vet look at him. If that's not a possibility, you could try antibiotics and wormers.

-Kathy

Did you know that Gapeworms live in the trachea, not the esophagus? So the cotton swab test proves nothing... Gapes are not that common in chickens, so probably not that. My best guess is that he has a respiratory infection, but it could be gapes, or maybe even air sac mites. Best thing would be to have a vet look at him. If that's not a possibility, you could try antibiotics and wormers.

-Kathy

I read about the cotton swab test on this website I thought.....

Where do I get antibiotics for him? what type should I choose? Same questions about wormer.

If its respritory infection - what is the course of the disease? will he die or recover on own? spread to others? what do I expect?
Never hear of air sac mites - what are other symptoms to expect with that?

maybe the real question is why is he the only one sick? the others appear to be normal....

Thanks for the input

Quote: Not sure who started the cotton swab misinformation.
sad.png
If your bird has gapes, and they are high enough up in the trachea, you might be able to see them, but I would not suggest sticking anything in this hole.

Choosing an antibiotic is something a vet can do better than we can. You could try Tylan or oxytetracycline, but many times those aren't very effective. If he were my bird I would try Baytril, but Baytril is banned for use in poultry, and it's not something you can get in a feed store, so you would have to order it.

I think the wormer people use to treat air sac mites is ivermectin or moxetectin, again, this is when a consult with a vet is a good idea.

Sometimes only one will get sick, and there are many reasons that can happen...

-Kathy

Not sure who started the cotton swab misinformation. :( If your bird has gapes, and they are high enough up in the trachea, you might be able to see them, but I would not suggest sticking anything in this hole. Choosing an antibiotic is something a vet can do better than we can. You could try Tylan or oxytetracycline, but many times those aren't very effective. If he were my bird I would try Baytril, but Baytril is banned for use in poultry, and it's not something you can get in a feed store, so you would have to order it. I think the wormer people use to treat air sac mites is ivermectin or moxetectin, again, this is when a consult with a vet is a good idea. Sometimes only one will get sick, and there are many reasons that can happen... -Kathy
all very good advice from Kathy. I just wanted to add I had a rooster do the same exact thing that yours is doing and we treated with Tylan 50 for 5 days at .2 CC per pound of body weight. It cleared him up and he has not been contagious to anyone else although we did not see a vet with him. Many of the respiratory infections are contagious but there are also many reasons why only one bird becomes affected.
I read about the cotton swab test on this website I thought..... Where do I get antibiotics for him? what type should I choose? Same questions about wormer. If its respritory infection - what is the course of the disease? will he die or recover on own? spread to others? what do I expect? Never hear of air sac mites - what are other symptoms to expect with that? maybe the real question is why is he the only one sick? the others appear to be normal.... Thanks for the input

all very good advice from Kathy. I just wanted to add I had a rooster do the same exact thing that yours is doing and we treated with Tylan 50 for 5 days at .2 CC per pound of body weight. It cleared him up and he has not been contagious to anyone else although we did not see a vet with him. Many of the respiratory infections are contagious but there are also many reasons why only one bird becomes affected.

Thanks for the info. I am researching the suggestions now!

Any merit to using the Diatamacious Earth? Will it help with internal worms?

Back
Top Bottom