The Emu Twin Experiment

I've hatched twice before, but I am planning on reviewing the threads and articles on here about weight tracking since it's been two years since I did that. I didn't with my current emu's egg, but he [or she] hatched out fine anyway. Included are some pictures of that emu; name Phoenix.
e3mu.jpg
48249855_331833157401966_6628724792319016960_n.jpg

I have received and began incubation for three more eggs; one suspected double and two normal "control" eggs that were shipped along with that egg. They'll be day six tomorrow.

Unfortunately, though, I have noticed a bad smell and suspect it's my first egg [day 14 tomorrow.] I have since moved that egg to another incubator to isolate it from the other eggs and will throw it out should it begin leaking, cracking further, or showing any other definite signs of being dead... I'm just reluctant to give up on it when I do not know for sure.

Unfortunately both of my larger eggs seem to have rotted [which is weird since my previous infertile eggs did not], leaving only the two "control" eggs. Hopefully those still hatch, and I hope to get more in the hopes of hatching a mate for my current emu.

I've hatched twice before, but I am planning on reviewing the threads and articles on here about weight tracking since it's been two years since I did that. I didn't with my current emu's egg, but he [or she] hatched out fine anyway. Included are some pictures of that emu; name Phoenix.
View attachment 1678052 View attachment 1678054
Oh my that is an adorable picture! What sort of predator problems do you have with an emu? I can't imagine rats, possums or such could or would try to take down such a large animal even if it is a bird.

Nothing has tried to go after my emu, however we do have an unknown animal who kills his chicken and duck friends if they are not properly secured. We've never seen it, only the remains of the chickens it has killed.
Emu's too big for most predators [although apparently sometimes if they sleep outside they can be killed in their sleep by sneaky beasts like foxes and weasels] and his species is known for stomping predators/any animal they don't think belongs in their space to death. My emu, however, is too friendly and has been seen to willingly allow a possum to share his shed [he did try to peck the possum while I was removing it, though. Mean little bugger, I had to carry him out in a bucket so he wouldn't bite me -the possum that is.] until I saw it and got it out of there. Maybe he thought it was a weird new cat; he seems to know that the cats are friends and only chases them for fun, not to harm them.

Nothing has tried to go after my emu, however we do have an unknown animal who kills his chicken and duck friends if they are not properly secured. We've never seen it, only the remains of the chickens it has killed.
Emu's too big for most predators [although apparently sometimes if they sleep outside they can be killed in their sleep by sneaky beasts like foxes and weasels] and his species is known for stomping predators/any animal they don't think belongs in their space to death. My emu, however, is too friendly and has been seen to willingly allow a possum to share his shed [he did try to peck the possum while I was removing it, though. Mean little bugger, I had to carry him out in a bucket so he wouldn't bite me -the possum that is.] until I saw it and got it out of there. Maybe he thought it was a weird new cat; he seems to know that the cats are friends and only chases them for fun, not to harm them.
What a really cool bird. Kinda serves as a bodyguard for the chickens? LOL. Does emu have a name? How does one determine gender?

I think he is, since usually it's enough for him to just chase animals to get them to run away. Mine doesn't harm other animals, but others do.
Mine is named Phoenix and he or she will be a year old in may. Gender can be determined through genetic testing, which I have not successfully done yet, or by waiting until they're a few years old and determining by the sound they make and presence/lack of a neck pouch. Females have a neck pouch with which to make "booming" sounds, kind of similar to a bullfrog. Males don't have those.

Back
Top Bottom