The end of an era...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Rusty Hills Farm, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Wednesday night/Thanksgiving morning predators--the 2-legged variety--complete with bolt cutters emptied all of my runs except the one visible from the house. They cut the padlocks off the coops and walked off with every RIR and most of the Buff Rocks. The RIR flock was descended from my grandfather's flock established in 1942. Now there is not a single one of them left. The deputy who took the report said they are probably already in someone's freezer.

I am heartbroken.

[​IMG]

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    that is so bold and unbelievable.
    sorry to hear of such a sad happening.

3. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Ohh no that is horrible [​IMG]

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Oh shoot. That sucks. I am so sorry that this happened. I guess there is only so much you can do. I don't even know how you could have reasonably prevented that. I can't stand the dishonesty.

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Oh no....I am so sorry. [​IMG] That is just devastating, I am sure. Are there any from the original flock anywhere? perhaps eggs someone else hatched or some you re-homed for some reason?

6. moms_pantry

moms_pantry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    That's terrible. I can't believe someone would be so bold to walk in take your chickens. Sorry for your loss. I hope they catch them, but it's probably not very likely.

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

mannnnn ,,, im sorry,, that sux !!! freakin thieves are second on my HATE list,,, and i HATE very few,,, cause of those worthless #@*&$#@ i have alarms all round my property.

really am sooooo sorries [​IMG]

8. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Oh, what a world, what a world. That's what the wicked witch says as she is melting and I think it all the time.

Any chance of putting up signs at places where chicken-people hang out, tractor supply or feed store or whatever? Maybe you could offer a reward to have a few returned, or appeal to sympathy since it's a family flock . .

I'm so sorry.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm devastated for you-heritage is something you cannot replace. I just dont know what to say except that I think I need to find some locks for my breeders' coops.

10. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Jez...people these's days..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by