The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, May 8, 2014.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We have a baby! Ro's baby hatched. I observed Rachel. She didn't attack it, though she was stern in pushing it back under her, probably due to the cold this morning. She still didn't call it to eat, but as long as she isn't attacking them, there is hope that it will all go well and maybe by the end of the day, she will be moved to the broody pen and Deacon and Sammie will have their own love nest.
    [​IMG]

I think you'd be an excellent neighbor, Angela. [​IMG]

2. Woo Hoo!! One down four to go. I cannot wait to see pics.

You never know, we may end up in your neck of the woods yet. I have your hometown listed on my real estate searches. [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

I think that would be great, Angela. I have a great wraparound porch for sitting and drinking coffee (or tea, if that's your preference). [​IMG]

4. Coffee girl here! Coffee on your porch sounds wonderful my dear.

5. speckledhen

Atlas's first chick (I think a cockerel, still not fluffed out completely, but it's rather silvery, no dark on leg fronts, reserving judgement until later)

[​IMG]

And she is not hostile!!! [​IMG]

Rowena and Rachel are untried as far as what sex chick they produce. Dottie leans toward daughters, thankfully. It's her egg that is pipped, not Rachel's. The other three don't seem to be pipped yet, but I couldn't keep bugging Rachel.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  6. MistyMountain

MistyMountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    Wooo hoo!! [​IMG] Super excited and following along!! Now that the days are getting longer again, I am starting to get chick fever!! If only my ice queen Elsa would go broody again… I might not be convinced to deny her the chance!!

7. Yipppee!!!!! What a precious baby!!! [​IMG] So much to be thankful for today.

8. speckledhen

Other babies are cheeping and Rachel seems to understand what is coming from the eggs now. I hear heavy equipment unloading down the hill somewhere, so here we go.

9. I am just as happy for you about the new pasture as I am the babies. LOL!

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I have had broodies that were very quiet on the nest until they felt the hatch was complete - a survival trait I imagine, stay quiet until you can escape the hatch area completely so that you do not attract predators to your new babies.

How exciting! Hatchlings here this time of year would be instant popsicles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by