The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, May 8, 2014.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A honestly don't really know the sexes of them for sure. I'm pretty sure of one cockerel and maybe one pullet, but then again, Atlas had more pullet-like markings. These don't have super dark leg fronts on pullets, like hatchery stock does and some of the males have some sketchy dark wash, too. I can't see them well because they are in the subdued red light inside. I think by two weeks of age, I'll have an idea of the ratio of male-female.

2. Peanutsmomma

Peanutsmomma Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

What a way to start my Friday with baby pics. They are so precious that I can hardly stand it! I know you must be relieved that Rachel has turned out to be such a good momma.

Love the pics, keep them coming! Although, I bet with the weather you all have headed your way the babies won't be peeking out from momma too much for photo ops.

I haven't checked your Finn thread but were you able to find him an electric blanket?

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    All the chicks are cute!! Will you be selling them???

4. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Chicks are soooo cute and Rachel is beaming.

5. getaclue

getaclue Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    I hope you are feeling better now. Glad you have a good mama, and all is working out nicely for you. Love the pics!

6. speckledhen

No, never found him one. They don't seem to exist in a used form and not very popular new, either.

Yes, they will be leaving when Rachel lets them go.

7. speckledhen

Thank you, you're very sweet. The crazy changing weather isn't helping. Not a migraine anymore, but still, there's that tight feeling lurking ever since then. It's pouring a cold rain and may change to some flurries overnight, depending. We are at the threshold in elevation for it to be a mix and I just wish we'd get a different system through here and dry it all out soon.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  8. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Unfortunately Cyn. its another behind this one on Mon. I think.[​IMG]The low pressures aggravate me too. Cold is ok but without the humidity and very low or very high pressures we get somtimes. I am looking forward to being able to get out in the yard again. I did not can or garden last yr. but hope to this yr. I had those headaches terrible for about 10 yrs and they let up, I have a milder form now, just enough for me to feel the pressure and just enough for advil to help some. It still makes me feel yucky for days though.
    I have been hunting eggs already for this spring. The BBS part english orps.are in waynesville which is great for me. I think piglet on byc has the speckled, jubilee orps. I hope so. I can not afford the chicks. I got part english buffs from piglet last yr. and was pleased. Keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer for me. I am having ? prolapse problems again. I hope I will not need surgery again. The Dr. here is setting me up for an appt. in Asheville.

9. speckledhen

We can't have you starting up spring with health issues, woman! Nope, you have to enjoy our spring and grow some yummy veggies to go with our fabulous eggs. Hope all's well and no surgery is required.

10. getaclue

getaclue Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by