The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I'm jealous you can hatch already. Only 3 more months of winter here.

I have used narcotic pain pills after my surgeries and after chemo for almost a year, I never became addicted, I don't understand how people are having so much problems with them. I always wanted to be off them ASAP because they never worked really well for me. They do help you to sleep though.

I don't get it, either, Lisa. How can someone be addicted to something that, if I have even one, I am a zombie for over 24 hours. It may not completely kill the pain, but you just don't care-that's how they work, IMO. Some folks take several a day! I cannot imagine. I'd be a puddle on the floor and I have things to do! I take them for bad dental pain when I have a procedure and I sure did when I shattered my ankle, but then, I was in bed for more than a month.

I'm not wanting to hatch, but Maretta does so I let her. And we're going back into single digits again, expecting a little snow tomorrow afternoon. Schools are already closed. Mountain roads are too treacherous for buses to drive on them.

They also make me woozy dizzy. I got stuff to do, I can't be woozy dizzy.
Yup, exactly. I want to live, not be a slave to drugs of any kind. I will take a sleeping pill on occasion, which is really antihistamine if you read the ingredients, but that's not a narcotic, of course. I need to sleep and some nights, I can't do it, no matter what I do. I need more than 3-4 hours sleep, even though I don't go to work off the property.

I'm up most nights till 1, and bad nights until 3. That's why I end up sleeping later into the morning. Once I fall asleep I'm good, but some nights getting there is hard. Good thing I don't work a job either anymore. I blame hot flashes. They have made life harder, them and all the stinking arthritis and neuropathy pain, but I'm still kicking, so that's what's important.

I seriously can't take narcs. Any time I've had one prescribed they made me "sick as a dog". Allergic? Not sure, but I feel worse if I take them than if I don't.

They have a terrible after-affect, certainly. But, I have times I must lower myself to pop one. I hate drugs on principal, though I have to take synthetic thyroid or I'd be 300 lbs and my fingernails would peel off from the nail beds, but I really don't like them. The thyroid malfunction messed up my cholesterol, which was great until that time so they insisted I take a statin, though I'm on the lowest dosage I can be on and I do skip days (don't tell the doc!) I'm supposed to take something for osteopenia, but the monthly Fosamax pill made me sick so I take nothing other than D3 and calcium and hope it helps.

I can tell you that if a migraine is coming on, I'll take anything. I mean literally ANYTHING to stop it from getting worse. I've been in the emergency room too many times to get the migraine cocktail shot. When the nausea starts, that's all she wrote. I can't stop throwing up until I get the shot, so anything I can do to stave it off, I will.

I also try not to take heavy meds unless absolutely necessary. I’ve been so miserable from this flu, everything hurts and I can’t sleep so I’ve been taking rx strength ibuprofen and the last of my hydrocodone from when I gave birth, just so I can function to take care of the kids. Luckily the baby is better so he’s been sleeping more which helps.

Leah's Mom, I am allergic to anything in the codeine family. I can tolerate the lowest dosage, as a one-time thing, but the codeine family is what doctors tend to rely on most. There are several other narcotics, that are not codeine, and work very well with me.

oldhens, There are a couple of newer non-narcotic pain relievers on the market now, that I'm told work very well with neuropathy. You might want to talk to your doctor about them. I too suffered horrible neuropathy while going thru the type of chemo I was on. I found the best overall thing to take for it is Ibuprophen, and the occasional pain killer when absolutely necessary. Typically, weather changes, being on my feet too long, and wearing shoes that aren't well cushioned would cause serious flare ups.

As I had told speckledhen previously, a couple cups of hot ginger tea daily, made with actual ginger I got from the store, or from my garden, helped a lot with my neuropathy. The ginger tea doesn't work instantly, but over time. The ginger tea bags didn't work as well for me. I grated a bit of actual ginger daily, boiled it in water with a little cinnamon, and nutmeg, strained it, then added a bit of real (not store bought) honey to sweeten to taste.

The ginger tea doesn't work instantly, but over time. The ginger tea bags didn't work as well for me. I grated a bit of actual ginger daily, boiled it in water with a little cinnamon, and nutmeg, strained it, then added a bit of real (not store bought) honey to sweeten to taste.

I would imagine the concentration of ginger in the tea bags is not nearly what you'd have in a freshly made ginger tea. I need to get some real ginger, but I keep bypassing it in the store.

Kara, happy the baby is sleeping better!

Snow is on the way this afternoon and plummeting temps for tonight. I bet it will be lower than 8*. That is for my actual town, which is about 400 ft lower than we are on the property.

upload_2018-1-16_11-6-13.png

Back
Top Bottom