The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Speaking as a transplant from up north (WI), the winters down south are sooooo much better than up there! The brutal chill to the bone cold for days on end is rare here, and you can actually go outside and do things in the winter!! We do get snow, here and there. Usually about one or two good snows for snowman making or sledding and then two days later it is gone. We got two feet last year, but that was a freak incident. Sometimes it will randomly be 70 degrees in January!! Back in WI, we used to never close school for snow. I do remember having to stay home because it was too cold to go outside, though. They are quicker to cancel school down here, and rightfully so. The mountain roads can be very dangerous when icy.

Another plus are the views… oh the mountains!!

I have to ask, though, since it is unheard of down here, how's the ice fishing this year? I tell people here about ice fishing and sturgeon spearing and they look at me like I am crazy. We used to head up to Bay de Noc every winter.

First thing I learned when I moved down here, though, is that the mountains are pronounced Appa-LATCH-in mountains not Appa-lay-shin!! I still call water fountains bubblers, though!

Speckledhen, how are the chicks doing? Have you made any more guesses on gender? They are so cute!!

Hey, you are in Virginia! That isn't the south! LOL. Not far south enough, anyway. You still have some winters there, for sure.

Gender is still up in the air. It is warmer, but too windy for the chicks to go out on damp ground today, but I did manage a few pictures of them with the doors open so I got more natural lighting. There's definitely one with lighter down color (and a big head, too) that indicates a cockerel and maybe one other that looks like a male, but this line is really hard to judge by the usual BR sexing standards. Here they are and you guys can guess for yourselves!

You can see the big one at the back of the group. Tiny bright white spot, but you can see that "frosting" on the back of the head.

Oh my goodness, I am experiencing chick cuteness overload!! Those pics with the chicks climbing on Rachel are precious.

She sure pleasantly surprised me, being such a great mom. She is so happy, too. You can see it in her eyes. I just wish they could go outside. It's freezing and damp and windy so it may be another week before their feet touch actual soil. I put a pan with dirt in her pen so they could peck and even dustbathe, though it's not large enough for Rachel herself.

RIP my sweet little Heidi... I cried a little with this loss.

Aw, sounds like she wasn't a very strong bird to begin with. As for accidentally leaving one outside, we've done it a couple of times over the years, mainly with the blues, who look like shadows if you don't see their combs/wattles. Again, very sorry.

Aw, sounds like she wasn't a very strong bird to begin with. As for accidentally leaving one outside, we've done it a couple of times over the years, mainly with the blues, who look like shadows if you don't see their combs/wattles. Again, very sorry.

Thanks!!

Hope Deacon is okay. He's so mellow, it's weird. He let me hug him and didn't even flinch. Drusilla is picking at Atlas's comb and making the same raw spot on the side that she had on Rex's. She is all over him, that hussy. I think she is trying to make her new man match her old one in some way. Good grief. All the BRs like him over there so he's in like Flynn.

Rowena is picked on some, though, but that makes her love to be held much more than she did before the big move. I don't think Atlas likes Serena, the Dellie-lookalike hen who is his cousin, Isaac's daughter with Rita. She sure doesn't like him. Since she and Rita, who is 5 years old soon, are not needed in there, I may move them both in with Deacon. Deke's black hens were over there so they know Rita and Serena well and Deacon is much lighter bodied and less insistent on mating than Atlas, therefore, easier on poor old Rita.

Rita and Serena:

Back
Top Bottom