The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, May 8, 2014.

1. Oh no! I am so sorry for your loss. She looked like a precious little girl.

2. Maybe Deacon is ummm, errrrr.....satisfied? LOL!!! Have you caught him smoking a chicken cigarette? [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! [​IMG] Oh, my! If that's true and I give him two more women, he may melt into a goober puddle!

Deacon, Isaac and my late Rex are being immortalized in a bed runner after I found a fabric with images that look like all three of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  4. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Atlas is such a ladies man. I love the bed runner!

5. speckledhen

He sure is. And he's gotten sweeter and sweeter as he's gotten older, too.

The runner will be 5 of those 15" blocks, then a narrow gold border and a red chickenwire border to complete it. My boys, can't believe I found a fabric that looks like three of them!

6. speckledhen

It's PICTURE DAY!
    Atlas & Crew, plus BABIES!
    Okay, here we go, chicks are really starting to "form" now! I see one very definite pullet and one very definite cockerel; other than that, it's anybody's guess. I may go further and say there are two males, but as for another one, I can't really say. They are a week and two days old today. Click to blow up the photos and guess along with me. The flash is throwing things off and it's a bit chilly for them to come outside. Best I could do was have the outer door open to let in some light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This front-and-center is my 100% sure hunka-chunka Son of Atlas-look at that sumo stance!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Atlas with his gorgeous buxom beauties. He is 42 weeks old this Friday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  7. chickenneighbor

chickenneighbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Maine
    Love that even at that young age you can see different faces and attitudes. And speaking of attitudes, Druscilla is totally awesome!

8. speckledhen

Dru is the only one I got out of the original Stukel male, Rex #1, and Dottie is her mother. Dru is a character, sweet, doesn't mind petting but would prefer not being picked up. She has the weirdest face, seems wrinkled and old, though she is only around 3 years old.

9. MistyMountain

MistyMountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    LOL! Still a big change for me! My first visit down here, DH (back then "boyfriend") took me to Civil War battlefields and educated me on "The War of Northern Aggression." Sad truth, different points were emphasized at my school than his. His family is originally from GA, which is why we head down that way a few times a year. That's got to count for something, right? And hmmm my broody coop and future big coop is/will be constructed from lumber from the family owned lumber mill. We have some farther south stuff here [​IMG]. I also drink sweet tea. Where has this stuff been all my life? Speaking of heading to GA, wish we were headed down there soon and would cross paths with you! I saw your post on the test eggs and after seeing how nice your boys are, I wish I could take them! Then again, I would have to try hatching them in my bra (like some of those silly people on here) or next to the wood stove because I lack a broody or an incubator!

I love that you found that awesome material with your boys on it for your runner! I have always been fascinated with quilting. Maybe one day I will have to try it out. My Nana knit and crocheted all the time. I wish I would have paid more attention and learned how from her. I made a scarf once. One thing at a time now, though. I'm into making signs at the moment. Just random signs on weathered wood. I made up a canning company for on my kitchen wall. It reminds me of a slat that was popped off an old wooden crate. I have a few more to make for in the house and one for DH to hang in the barn.

Love all the pics! I'm no help on the guessing game, other than the chick on the right in the first pic looks like it is nearly ready to say cock-a-doodle-doo!

10. speckledhen

Hahaha, your hubby and my hubby would have something in common then! My honey's family settled this state. If you do find yourself cruising through here, drop by! We'd have some sweet tea. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by