The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

"Short" story on a long, involved subject: i also have a bombshell revelation in my family. 2 years after my father's death, when I was 40, I discovered that my father wasn't really who he had claimed to be. This was only news to me and my sister. Everybody in my mother's family knew, but had kept it from us. It was not the sort of thing that really was a big deal, but finding out by accident what i thought was my family history was not true was a horrible shock. My sister thought it was funny. I reacted by getting furious with my mother.
We had been told Dad's mother had died when he was a baby and his father couldn't cope so he was raised by a maiden aunt. He had the same last name as his aunt and we assumed the old lady was his father's sister. The family had been very prominent and wealthy and actually, 200 years ago, were founders of the county where we live today, but they all died out and he was the only one left.

My mother began to show signs of dementia and her papers were in a jumble so one day when I was going through her bills etc. I found my father's birth cert. - written in German! Then I found a legal document changing his name! Turns out his family were immigrants, possibly from Poland and Denmark, he had 5 siblings (all born in this country) and they all lived in a tenement in NYC until he was put into an orphanage run by the lady he called his "aunt". He was devoted to her for saving him and took on her name and history. Needless to say, for me it was like finding out when you are middle aged that you are actually adopted - I was stunned! So after a lot years of on and off searching (my mother's family was no help - all the people who knew anything were already dead and my mother couldn't remember) I tried doing the DNA test last year. All it did was confirm that I had a good percentage of eastern European and Scandinavian blood. Then I was informed that 2 people had been found who might be 1st or 2nd cousins and they wanted to contact me. Suddenly I was no longer interested. I didn't want to open a whole new can of worms. I had a wonderful family no matter who they were. After 30 years I guess I'm finally over my anger at my father for lying to us. He was a terrific father and the only thing I regret is that he might have been ashamed of who he was and didn't want us to know. I would have loved to talk with him about it. I also am sorry that I'm no longer related to Ralph Waldo Emerson - I was really proud of that! :lau

@robhuncor Robin, secrets and lies are why I did not have any information to even start my search until my adoptive mother died at the end of 1999. I hate secrets. Every person deserves to know who and where they came from. It's a right, IMO. The folks who hold their secrets are being selfish. What about us? Why must we dig and cajole and bribe and pay others to investigate for us? Now, so many are dead, the ones who knew the truth. I'm trying to find Frances and Micki, my mother's high school friends, who thought Westberry was my father. June obviously told them that. She wanted him so it was wishful thinking to say I was his. Well, guess what? I'm apparently not. All that funeral home crowd was a close bunch, it seems to me. They all knew each other, traveled in the same circles, were all very well off.

You may find this interesting the difference between MyHeritageDNA's results on the left and and the results from Ancestry.com on the right. I bet Ancestry uses the latest science.
*the first time, I didn't expand the ancestry one to show the "low confidence" regions.
Screenshot-2018-5-17 Ethnicity Estimate - Fuller Web Site - MyHeritage.jpg Screenshot-2018-5-17 DNA Origins(1).jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot-2018-5-17 DNA Origins.jpg
    Screenshot-2018-5-17 DNA Origins.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 8
I’ve wanted to try the Ancestry DNA test out of curiosity, but haven’t because so much of our family history is known that I’m not sure it would provide anything I don’t know lol.

We picked up a couple new pullets to help us feel better after we lost the other 2.
This one is Jackie, a blue laced red Wyandotte, I’ve been wanting one because I think they’re gorgeous. She’s 3 months. She’s pretty mild tempered, let’s me hold her without much fuss.
BBE4C6DE-C495-4AA6-8352-5A821FB42C32.jpeg

And this cute little blue Andalusian is Eleanor. She’s 2 months old and extremely skittish. She screeches like she’s being murdered every time I pick her up and doesn’t stop until I put her down. I’ve wanted a blue hen, so pretty. My husband says she looks like a pigeon lol.
D3829669-D5D9-4C89-9C62-F32CC55F9880.jpeg

My Mother always said "it's a wise child that knows his own father" She must have been trying to tell us something! :p But on a serious note - WHY do people have to lie - especially to their own children? It just screws people up later when they find out. Life is hard enough to figure out without being deliberately led astray with wrong information.

Kara I love blue chickens too! These look like great replacements!

My brother knew early on he was adopted. It was no secret. His adoption papers were in his baby book. He never expressed any interest in finding out who his biological parents were. In fact, he had a girlfriend that tried to find them. He blew a gasket at her. He let her know that it was none of her business.

I have a cousin that was adopted, and his parents never told him. He learned when he was a teen, and was overwhelmed by the news. His parents got divorced. His mother got custody. He kept wanting to see his dad, so he went sneaking off one day to go see him. His dad let him know he was adopted, and not his son, so stop trying to see him. It was a cruel way to learn about it.

One of the better "skeleton in the closet" family stories was about my Aunt, and Uncle. They had 2 children, a boy, and a girl. My Aunt's sister moved in with them when her husband died. She had a son. The kids were all raised together. Both Aunts were nurses, so one worked the night shift, while the other worked day shift. Between my Aunts, and my Uncle, the kids always had an available adult to look after them, take them where they needed to go, etc. At my Uncle's funeral, everyone found out that all 3 kids were my Uncle's. He was cheating on his wife with her sister, and there was no dead husband. The boy was his. They kids were all adults when they found out.

Back
Top Bottom