The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Happy Belated(somewhat) Birthday Speckled Hen
clap.gif

Thanks for the thoughts, all.

Speckledhen and Peanutsmomma, Feb must be a great month for B-days, my oldest son turned 7 on the 1st!

Have I told you how much I love the name Finn? Gonna have to remember that one when we are looking to get a westie again!

Speckledhen and Peanutsmomma, Feb must be a great month for B-days, my oldest son turned 7 on the 1st!

Have I told you how much I love the name Finn? Gonna have to remember that one when we are looking to get a westie again!

I think a Westie named Finn would be perfect! Happy B'day to your son!

Atlas is out on range with his girls. He's turned out to be such a great rooster, I'm pleased as punch with him. The babies look awesome, too, just wish I knew whose was whose. If they'd been bator-hatched, I could better know, but hatching under a broody, it's hard to label them. All I know is that three of them belong to Dottie and one each to Rachel and Rowena.

I have a collection of hatching eggs from Atlas's coop coming up on a dozen now so if anyone local is interested, be happy to meet you in Murphy, Blue Ridge, Mineral Bluff or you can come here to pick them up. Just know that there will probably be a couple that are either from my splash Rock hen (blue barred babies are great, too!) or one of the black girls, which should be barred, but I've never hatched from a barred over black so have no personal experience with it.

I have a collection of hatching eggs from Atlas's coop coming up on a dozen now so if anyone local is interested, be happy to meet you in Murphy, Blue Ridge, Mineral Bluff or you can come here to pick them up. Just know that there will probably be a couple that are either from my splash Rock hen (blue barred babies are great, too!) or one of the black girls, which should be barred, but I've never hatched from a barred over black so have no personal experience with it.

Oh I wish I wish I wish!! Just how far are you from Sautee Nacoochee? I have family headed this way in March!

Oh I wish I wish I wish!! Just how far are you from Sautee Nacoochee? I have family headed this way in March!
It's probably an hour and a half or so, I'd guess. You'd probably go up to Blairsville then over to Blue Ridge and up to us or Blairsville, then Murphy, NC and jog down to us. We're right on the NC border.

Happy Birthday to your son Misty Mountain! Seven is such a great age for little boys.

If only you could sex them by their fuzzy little butts! I agree the cockerel's combs look bigger. Not sure from one pic to the next, but 2 definitely look like boyos

Yep, they suffer from camera phobia so we get lots of "butt shots", lol. They were eating out of my hand awhile ago because their mama was. As always, they follow her lead. I just have to be patient and their usual friendly natures will take over and they will be all up in our business like most of their aunts and mothers are.

I am pretty sure about the two cockerels and two pullets. The last one, who knows? Another week or two and it should be definite, especially once they are truly feathering out. Whatever they are, they'll be good ones, I'm betting.

My 8 year old arthritic BR hen, Amanda, just laid her 3rd egg this week. That hen is amazing. She can't even walk and she's laying at her advanced age.

Quote: Thank you, diva, though it was actually Speckled Roo's b'day. Mine was back in Nov. Took him out to eat at his favorite Mexican restaurant. Not used to spending that much $$ on eating out, but we didn't get to go on mine due to weather and didn't get to go on our 39th anniversary due to weather, so this was for all three. I find I just cannot eat much at one time. That plate was enough for three people! At least they don't skimp on amount.

Last edited:
Tell the Cat Hater that when Finn jumps up on him, he should hug the cat and love up on him. If Finn is giving him attention because DH leaves him alone, pestering him should send him in the other direction. When my best friends cat was living with us for 2 years, when he got too needy in the kitchen and wouldn't leave us alone, I'd hold him upside down (like an upside down toddler) for a few minutes, with him mewing and squawking away, and then when I'd put him back down on the floor, he'd huff out of the kitchen and "ignore" us long enough to get dinner made!

Back
Top Bottom