The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

ETA: and the garden in progress. You can see in the upper right the meadow grass is growing really well. Found this kite in my late Dad's basement and grabbed it to be a sort of scarecrow for the garden. Hope it keeps bunnies out!
Oh I'm so jealous of your garden! I'm all the way up in Montana, and we are just now starting to tinker with the idea of getting the hardy veggies out in the next week or so. The frost danger takes forever to go away up here :)

Oh I'm so jealous of your garden! I'm all the way up in Montana, and we are just now starting to tinker with the idea of getting the hardy veggies out in the next week or so. The frost danger takes forever to go away up here
smile.png

And I'm jealous of my friend's garden in California (though, the rest of CA, she can have, lol!) She has already had her first strawberry harvest while our blooms are just now turning into tiny green globes. Just three hours south of us, they have an entirely different season, too. You go down over 1000 ft to get to where I used to live and my sister lives and they are ahead of me here at 2000 ft in the mountains. We lived in Utah twice and we had snow in June so I get what you're going through!

My #2 male, the one I'm probably going to keep as Atlas's back up. He's about to turn 8 weeks old. I hope his back won't be too short or tail angle too high, but it's hard to tell at this age.

The new green has traveled up the mountainsides now:

Last edited:

Here he is!! We named him Rupert. He came right to the bottle today!

And some Buckeyes and Cream Legbars.

@holm25
Isaiah, Rupert is precious! I can't tell, is he sort of a chocolate brown color?

Love the Buckeyes. The Cream Legbars remind me of my Poufy Head Sisters, Kate, Tux and Olivia. Very nice.

Yep!

Thanks! The Legbars are CRAZY!

Took a couple pics of the pasture just outside the perimeter fence. It's really grown a ton in the last week. Atlas takes his hens all the way out to the perimeter fence when I let him out of the barn pen and we need to get some of the height cut or coyotes or a fox can sneak in through all that and get too close before he sees them. If that livestock fencing wasn't there, he'd be out in the pasture, I'm sure of it.

The panorama one makes it look like the fence takes a corner turn but it's straight across.

Looks great! Now u just need to toss a few cattle out there!
wink.png

I was just going to ask you how many I can run on that small lot. It's only about 1.4 acres. I still need to fence it, though, haven't done that with all the barn construction but we do plan to do that so it's an extra predator barrier. I'm thinking only a cow and calf, not more than a couple on that small acreage. More would probably decimate it.

I was just going to ask you how many I can run on that small lot. It's only about 1.4 acres. I still need to fence it, though, haven't done that with all the barn construction but we do plan to do that so it's an extra predator barrier. I'm thinking only a cow and calf, not more than a couple on that small acreage. More would probably decimate it.

Depends on what your lookimg at? Lowline/Miniature catlle or standards? A standard cow calf pair would do great out there. A few miniatures would too.

Quote:
Yes. I did a 10 day test run with some inferior eating eggs. Everything looked good, including the air cells. It's holding temp. and humidity really good. That gave me time to collect more eggs from my preferred breeding trio. Did I mention that I had eggs collected eggs from my breeding trio, had them sitting on my counter, sorted, and ready to set, then Dh decided to give some eggs to a co-worker. Did he get the ones from the egg basket? Of course not! He got the ones on the counter that I had collected to hatch in the new incubator.

Back
Top Bottom