The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

My BF's Nephew just headed back to Korea after summer up here, going back to school to finish his degree. Hope the political situation is not too creepy.

I'm all for separating Hector out with a few of the older girls and letting him learn a little bit of manners from them. A very good horse trainer that I used to work with would take a really unruly stud and turn him out with a couple of bred Belgian mares. Those big girls could put a hurting on a snotty boy faster than you could believe

My BF's Nephew just headed back to Korea after summer up here, going back to school to finish his degree. Hope the political situation is not too creepy.

I'm all for separating Hector out with a few of the older girls and letting him learn a little bit of manners from them. A very good horse trainer that I used to work with would take a really unruly stud and turn him out with a couple of bred Belgian mares. Those big girls could put a hurting on a snotty boy faster than you could believe

The politics are weird. The guy in N. Korea spouts off and threatens and everyone in S. Korea yawns. My son spent a year in the Republic of Georgia, must poorer than Korea. But, he has a lot of trouble, can't get used to, the poor dogs in wire cages crammed together waiting to be killed for meat. They don't really do dogs for pets there much, no one has a yard anyway. I'd suffocate in those crowded cities.

Haha, a Belgian mare is a big old gal! I bet she can lay on some attitude with those teeth and dinner plate hooves! I may put Druscilla out with Hector and press play on the video camera. Might need popcorn for that one.

Is Dusty the Destoryer still around? I know you talked about her in the past and how she can be.

Yes, she is, but she's going on 9 years old and has lost sight in her left eye. I saw her face off with Apollo the other day when he got up the nerve to dance for her-she's very intimidating, still, and he backed off a bit-but then she ran, so she's not her usual robust self. I don't think I'd saddle her with Hector. And if she didn't have Xander with her every time she was out, I wouldn't let Apollo out with her, either.

Oh please do!!
pop.gif

Might just try that today if I have time. Should be interesting.

Well, that didn't go as I imagined. The first video somehow didn't record more than 2 seconds, somehow turned off, but I got a second round a minute later. When he saw her, Hector approached Dru, who made this unsettled clucking noise in her throat. When he got within 6" of her, he bowed his head to the ground and froze. She froze. They stayed like that for a full minute, neither one moving. Then, he began shaking his head and took one step toward her, she reared up and they clashed and she ran! She ran! He followed her to the barn door and this is what happened next-the clucking noise is Druscilla.

0.jpg

Maybe Wynette? Good grief, that boy!

Last edited:
1f635.png
Maybe need a couple of the older girls together? Strength in numbers and all that? Wow though. Not at all how I figured that'd go!!

Yeah, I'll have to try someone else out of that group. Dare I get Evil Tessa who has almost killed Apollo more than once? Hmm, probably not. I just now have calmed her down so she'll let me pick her up again without taking a chunk out of my arm. And Ida, Apollo and Atlas's mother, is slowing way down now. I think that leaves Lizzie or Wynette. Wynette is pretty tough still, probably the most spry of the older BR girls, except maybe almost 10 year old Becca, but I'm not sure I want to get her hurt at her age. She's nowhere near the size of the Stukel Rock hens.

This little stud has been this dominant since he was 8 weeks old. I've never seen a young male mature as fast as Hector.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll have to try someone else out of that group. Dare I get Evil Tessa who has almost killed Apollo more than once? Hmm, probably not. I just now have calmed her down so she'll let me pick her up again without taking a chunk out of my arm. And Ida, Apollo and Atlas's mother, is slowing way down now. I think that leaves Lizzie or Wynette. Wynette is pretty tough still, probably the most spry of the older BR girls, except maybe almost 10 year old Becca, but I'm not sure I want to get her hurt at her age. She's nowhere near the size of the Stukel Rock hens.

This little stud has been this dominant since he was 8 weeks old. I've never seen a young male mature as fast as Hector.
ETA:
Well, nope, not even Wynette wants to mess with him. Uploading that one now. He is showing remarkable restraint, it seems to me, flirting, coming up to her slowly, etc. Wynette didn't want to engage him, either. And when I put her back, Atlas grabbed her before she got in the door and another hen attacked her, though she did fight back then. I'm at a loss. I guess the oldest hens are just over having to deal with young males anymore, not worth the stress of it. I would pull out Tessa to try, but I don't want Tessa's personality to tank again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom