The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Can't do that around over 2 acres, though. Another "helpful" person joined the discussion:

Quote: and the original person, who seems to read into the law what she wants, plus gives a semi-threatening warning:

Quote:

Wow, I've been threatened. So sorry I tried to locate the owner. That'll learn me, as they say. It's SSS for those two if they get into the fence. No good deed goes unpunished but of course, I figured someone would want to lecture me. Can't be on BYC for years and not know that, eh?

This is the GA state as well as my county dog law regarding killing a dog:

Quote: If you read anything I wrote, I didn't say I was going to shoot the dogs in the pasture. Some folks just like to set up a fight so they can, well, fight. I said IF THEY BREACH THE FENCE they would be in mortal danger. My Brahmas free range and go to the perimeter fence all the time.

Last edited:
Since the only chickens, that they know of, that are worth a lot of money are fighting chickens, it proves they don't know much about poultry. A dog can kill 20 chickens in less than 5 minutes. Even at $15.00 a chicken, which is not even close to the price of some breeds, that adds up to $300.00 in poultry alone, not to mention the cost of egg loss, nor the time, and effort in raising them. Furthermore, the chickens are not running around wild, without human interaction. There is a bond between you, and them. Your chickens lives are important to you.

They assume the owner is a responsible pet owner, actively searching for their dog, however, that is only an assumption on their part.

I'm with you , if they really cared about the dogs they would have been hunting them and asking around about them. I know my brother has hunters and is very upset if one gets out. He knows the danger that the dogs would be in. Most hunting dogs are not use to strangers and do not like to be bothered. You have done what you could do for now. Unless you could call around the neighbors to find out who owns them. Otherwise I am with you. Call the pound or sss. And i love dogs.

Considering that this color variety of Brahma can sell for several hundred for a quad or trio, they're looking at some bucks. And I'd have to start all over again. They are ignorant of anything but game chickens (common for this area). They'd choke if they saw Ayam Ceymani prices.

I like the swirly fabric that the star is made of
smile.png

Considering that this color variety of Brahma can sell for several hundred for a quad or trio, they're looking at some bucks. And I'd have to start all over again. They are ignorant of anything but game chickens (common for this area). They'd choke if they saw Ayam Ceymani prices.

Send them a link to GFF, I'd love to see their reaction. Or send them my way and I'll explain it to them. I had a neighbor's dog here killing chickens multiple times backs when I first started raising poultry - birds I had raised myself from chicks that would follow me around everywhere, sit in my lap, and fly up onto my shoulder. I'd wager I cared more about those birds than the owners of the dog cared about it, since it was roaming illegally, wasn't neutered, wasn't licensed, and had killed another's neighbors chickens already and the owners were on notice that if it happened again it was going to be shot. They still let it roam anyway. It wasn't worth enough to them for them to spend $10 on a tie out at Walmart to keep it from getting shot. It killed a good ten of my birds at least over several visits. That won't be happening again with any other dog, and if it does and they're cemanis, the owner of that dog is gonna get a hefty bill and will likely no longer have a dog.

Last edited:
Send them a link to GFF, I'd love to see their reaction. Or send them my way and I'll explain it to them. I had a neighbor's dog here killing chickens multiple times backs when I first started raising poultry - birds I had raised myself from chicks that would follow me around everywhere, sit in my lap, and fly up onto my shoulder. I'd wager I cared more about those birds than the owners of the dog cared about it, since it was roaming illegally, wasn't neutered, wasn't licensed, and had killed another's neighbors chickens already and the owners were on notice that if it happened again it was going to be shot. They still let it roam anyway. It wasn't worth enough to them for them to spend $10 on a tie out at Walmart to keep it from getting shot. It killed a good ten of my birds at least over several visits. That won't be happening again with any other dog, and if it does and they're cemanis, the owner of that dog is gonna get a hefty bill and will likely no longer have a dog.
Exactly right. This is why I have a zero tolerance policy. I'm done, just DONE, with trying to reason with irresponsible dog owners. They just really don't give a flying fig about their animal. Well, we sure do. And my husband would shoot even before I would.

That whiny lady throwing it up that maybe she ought to shoot humans who "accidentally" cross her property really wouldn't like my answer about that, either. She was off-topic, of course, because that is a whole 'nother issue. Humans can read. And any two-legged critter who ignores the signs and comes into my perimeter, then into the barn area, is up to no good. His hide can be pelted just the same as any dog's can, if you catch my drift. Thankfully, this barn we put up at the end of last year has hardware cloth hinged screens locked from the inside on every window, plus a key lock on the entry door and a padlock on the roll-up door, which, even if someone cut the padlock, it would make a huge racket if they slid the latch open because it fits REALLY tight. The baby monitor would pick up the sound in the middle of the night.

We put a lot of time and money and heart into raising our birds. I've had dogs most of my life and I know what it's like to lose one. I can honestly say that it would be as devastating to me to lose my birds as any dog I've ever had. Chickens are more intelligent than people realize, know their names, recognize people, etc. They're not dumb as rocks (though some are smarter than others, just like people). A hen I've had for ten years since she was a chick or since she hatched from an egg in my incubator would be a horrific loss if it was by a roaming dog. She doesn't deserve that end after a good, low-stress life.

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to comment, but I have been keeping up. I've been nodding my head over here agreeing with you. You did the right thing by putting out notice. It seems everyone has something to say these days, and can not simply "respectfully disagree." I've talked with people who "love a good, civil, debate" but end up angry and storm off because they can not handle the fact that someone else thinks differently.

DH recently had someone comment on something he had for sale on an online page. This large item is worth thousands of dollars and the person was fussing at the amount of money people are asking for items… like she can not compete with her $3 a doz eggs. This was an apples to oranges situation, much like yours. Humans to stray dogs.

We had AC out here after we lost 8 to a dog attack to document what happened and find out what is legal for us to do from here on out. This dog bent our gate on our run and went on in. We did not see the dog, but we heard dogs that we had not heard before. Everything was killed and left to lay there, some right near the house at around 4pm. Our own dog was inside with us because it was a super hot day.

AC told us we have the right to shoot it if it is on our property, but if it is a collared friendly do we may try to catch it to keep the peace. If not, and we do need to shoot it, call them and they will return it to it's owner.

No problems since, luckily. We do have an australian shepherd that comes up the driveway sometimes. It tries to play with our dog, something I am not too excited about. It is very fearful of people and bolts as soon as we step outside. It has never approached the free ranging chickens, though. Seems like it is only interested in playing with Lilly. I have snapped pictures through the window to document it, though.

You gotta do what you gotta do, though, to protect no only your flock but yourself. And especially when there is more than one dog running together.

Thanks, Michelle. I'm doing all I can to try to prevent that horrible scene you had to endure that day. So far, haven't seen them in person since I yelled at them, but they could be somewhere out of camera range.

Since this is Atlas's thread, here is his handsome son. What do you think of how Apollo is shaping up? He has a slightly straighter back than Hector, though it's hard to assess Hector when he is always in "stalker mode", walking with head down. I'm still trying to figure if Hector has a rainy day back or not. Dunno. I know that at 20 weeks, he still has no tail, ack!

Apollo and Athena.

And Hector's group. Jill seems more mature, comb-and-wattle-wise, than the other two.

Today, I'm quilting the "wubbie" for a friend. Has soft chocolate colored flannel backing. She loves earth colors so this fits the bill. Nothing formal, just "patchy" and simple. Here it is pin-basted. I had to buy the flannel because I didn't have enough of one thing to put on the back-why, oh, why is most flannel so babyish? I know JoAnn has different, more adult and varied flannels when you can get it on sale, but Walmart was where I had to go so solid brown it is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom