The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Cyn!! You are bad! I have about 15 cans of the stuff left over from making Flan and Coquito (coconut nog) for the Holidays, now it looks like I'll have some Caramel too...
droolin.gif

Hehehe, just call me The Cynabler!

My MIL says add a shot of bourbon before cooking
wee.gif

Well, no bourbon here, just a couple small bottles of homemade wine my pal Robin sent me from South Carolina, a Moscato and a Chocolate Raspberry dessert wine. Generally, I hate wine, not a drinker at all, use it in cooking and for a cough syrup with honey and lemon, but I'm game to try hers, made without those sulfites that can cause headaches.

I made an applesauce cake today to drizzle a warm caramel sauce over, yum! Come on over, Mary!
wink.png

Sounds delicious!

It was pretty good. I think I could get a better cake recipe, though it was okay. The caramel is not as sweet as you'd think it would be, not like caramel candies. Someone had commented that it's more what they'd call Dulce de Leche, not a true caramel, but heck, it tastes like caramel to me!

It was pretty good. I think I could get a better cake recipe, though it was okay. The caramel is not as sweet as you'd think it would be, not like caramel candies. Someone had commented that it's more what they'd call Dulce de Leche, not a true caramel, but heck, it tastes like caramel to me!

I've got recipes for a fresh apple cake (which usually has a brown sugar glaze) and a sweet pumpkin bread, both of which would be excellent with that caramel topping I believe.

you can call it Carmel, or you can call it dulce la leche, or you can call it a caramelized sugar and milk, and it would still taste just as good :D, wish I could come over! Not really complaining but it is 43 down here this am and that is not why we came to southern Florida.

you can call it Carmel, or you can call it dulce la leche, or you can call it a caramelized sugar and milk, and it would still taste just as good
big_smile.png
, wish I could come over! Not really complaining but it is 43 down here this am and that is not why we came to southern Florida.
We're travelling from Jacksonville to Ft Myers Fllorida and we are so grumpy about the 30s/40s..... We didn't sign up for this!

Also, I hadn't realized this was how Dulce De Leche was made! I told my mother and grandmother the caramel recipe and they sorta chuckled "Ay Mijo..." They'd been making me it for me for years and I just now realized this was the same thing.
gig.gif

Well, I was using my Dad's canned apples, no idea who old they are. They are mushy and not much taste, no sugar in them, so I had made some applesauce from one of the jars and I used that in the cake. I told my husband that it wasn't the greatest cake, but we could feed the rest to the chickens. He informed me that he ate a big piece this morning with his coffee, that he thought it was pretty good, so I guess it's fine, not too sweet, has walnuts and raisins in it. I subbed brown sugar for the white the recipe called for, which I usually do, at least in part.

I probably shouldn't have made 3 jars of caramel since I really don't bake much anymore, can't afford to eat the sugar and most of the time, baked goods don't sit well with either of us. Oddly enough, neither of us got heartburn from this cake, which normally happens. Maybe the caramel will still be okay by summer and I can have some with vanilla bean ice cream, yum!

Back
Top Bottom