The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

My first car was a VW beetle, old and beat up but a tough little car. Bought it for $300 in 1979, and sold it 3 years later for $300. No depriciation!
One of my favorite stories happened when I was with a friend who also had a VW bug, and we were in the middle of nowhere in rural Louisiana. The points went out, and we thought we were stuck. We ended up taking a foil chewing-gum wrapper, and wrapped it around what was left of the points contact arm. Low and behold, that chewing-gum wrapper got us home! :lol:
Once, when we lived in Utah, my husband bought me a VW Beetle, but it had a stick shift. I never really learned to drive it and sold it when we left the state.
My VW and my Nissan Frontier were both stick shifts. I really love a stick shift on flat land, like Louisiana. However, in hill or mountain country, it can become quite a skill to drive one and not burn out the clutch.

I tucked 9 chicks under her last night, it was so funny seeing her eyes widen as she felt the chicks under her. She started making those sweet cluck-cluck noises and carefully moved her wings out. Good mama.
IMG_20170707_225912304.jpg

One of my favorite stories happened when I was with a friend who also had a VW bug, and we were in the middle of nowhere in rural Louisiana. The points went out, and we thought we were stuck. We ended up taking a foil chewing-gum wrapper, and wrapped it around what was left of the points contact arm. Low and behold, that chewing-gum wrapper got us home! :lol:

My VW and my Nissan Frontier were both stick shifts. I really love a stick shift on flat land, like Louisiana. However, in hill or mountain country, it can become quite a skill to drive one and not burn out the clutch.

You can't really fix today's vehicles like we used to do, sadly. Even a VW bug is not a bug anymore.

I tucked 9 chicks under her last night, it was so funny seeing her eyes widen as she felt the chicks under her. She started making those sweet cluck-cluck noises and carefully moved her wings out. Good mama.

That's wonderful. Some never had the instinct properly kick in and they kill the chick, like Wynette did her first time. It was awful. I took the other egg away from her when I found the remains of the first chick. It was good I had Dottie go broody so she could hatch the rest, though she was too early on and would not pay attention to it and I had to make other arrangements after the chick hatched under her.

Aw, look at those blue babies! :love

I love blue chickens, as you know all too well. At least, I have my blue partridge rooster and girls so when I lose 9 yr old Dusty and 7 year old Neela and Alice, I'll still have some blues around this place.

Speaking of broodies, I think my blue partridge Brahma hen, Bonnie, is trying to go broody again for the third time this year. She went broody again when her first batch was 8 weeks old. Now the BRs she hatched are 9 weeks old. But, I'm not going to let her do this to herself.

I've been letting the young BR group run with the very old ladies-the old gals have no energy to chase them down, most have some degree of arthritis, etc-so the kids can get away from them easily. Today, I did the same, but Cora, Bash's 19 wk old daughter was out with them, too. She's also used to running with the old hens. So, Gypsy, ,my almost 10 yr old black Ameraucana hen, was allowing the chicks to eat some scratch with her, no pecking, which by itself was odd. Cora wanted to hassle them because she does not normally run with the 9 wk old chicks.

Gypsy came between them several times and actually ran Cora off, defended the BR youngsters! I think she remembers Zane, the absolute love of her life, and has a thing for the BR cockerels. I loved to see that. Good girl, my Gypsy. She doesn't have a maternal bone in her body, but she does have an affinity for BR roosters, I think, considering her history with Dutch and Zane. Wish so much that I had a daughter from her. She is my heart, that hen. I will be so sad when I lose her. She has not laid eggs in a few months, though awhile back, she did lay a few one month.

The largest BR cockerel decided he'd had enough of Cora hassling him, so he met her head on, flared up and tried to flog her in the face....then ran like the wind, LOL.

By the way, Bonnie and Tessa are trying to go broody again. I will never allow Tessa to hatch chicks. She's barely civil on a good day, but I never want to try to wrangle chicks with a mama like her. And Bonnie just started gaining a little weight back from her second batch of chicks. This is going to be her pattern, I guess, that when the last batch is 8-9 weeks old, she goes broody again.

I'm not getting notices from this thread. I was, but not now. I finally decided to manually check, and sure enough, there have been plenty of posts. Took me quite some time to catch up. 1mutts, Congratulations!
7930.gif

I'm not getting notices from this thread. I was, but not now. I finally decided to manually check, and sure enough, there have been plenty of posts. Took me quite some time to catch up. 1mutts, Congratulations! View attachment 1069808
The new software is kind of flaky in that regard. On the opposite end, I sometimes get notices from threads that I have Unwatched. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom