The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Though I tried everything, it was just too much shell gone, too early, and the chick passed. It was not a splash partridge, too dark, but I hate losing any of these Brahmas, so sweet all of them.

I moved Thea to the hospital cage with her other four eggs and she settled down in there so they'll be safe from any other damage unless she herself causes it. And my Brahma hen, Bonnie, is still broody, so if Thea acts aggressive to her chicks, I'm sure Bonnie would take them if I wanted to do that. I'd rather just brood and sell them FAST, but I hate brooding chicks.

I hate waiting to see if a broody will be a good mom. Hatching is always stressful to me, brooding I don't mind, I have a good system down, though 1-2 batches a year are enough for me.

Hopefully the rest do okay.

Aw, sorry you couldn't save it! Hope Thea makes it the rest of the way and is a good momma.

I hate waiting to see if a broody will be a good mom. Hatching is always stressful to me, brooding I don't mind, I have a good system down, though 1-2 batches a year are enough for me.

Hopefully the rest do okay.

Very sorry you lost it :hugs

Thanks, these things rarely happen but they do happen. It's just sad for a chick to make it this far. On a bright note, Lizzie has proven herself a stellar mom! Her three chicks are super friendly, the two boys more than the pullet (of course! It's my destiny, my lot in life, friendly roosters I cannot let go of!) and she does not mind if I pet them or pick them up. She herself is less standoffish than she usually is on a normal basis, whodathunkit? Good girl, Liz! Those Stukel hens are good moms. But, I remember Wynette's first chick was slaughtered when it hatched and Dottie crushed her first one as well. False starts are a hazard with first timers, so I hope that Thea does as well as Lizzie did.

It's a good thing it rarely happens, otherwise it would just be too sad. It's good they typically improve quite a bit, after they get over that first time. Sorry for your loss, but looking forward to hearing about the new ones. :hugs

What is the worst thing is that it was one of two or maybe three of Betsy's eggs, the only chances for a splash partridge, what my customer is really wanting. I know I have one of Bailey's eggs in the four so that will be a straight partridge. Splashes are the least color hatched from the BBS, I've found, when doing the BBS Orps, Ameraucanas or Plymouth Rocks. So, he may not get that splash pt at all. Can't make it happen since I have no splash hens in the mix to stack the odds.

Back
Top Bottom