The February Hatching Spectacular!!! Photo's are encouraged! JOIN NOW!

Well, today is day 7 for me and all is well. I want to candle them but I'm worried about all of the heat escaping when I open the bator to candle the eggs. Will they be ok till the bator warms back up? How long can they go without the temp that they have become use to for the past 7 days? As I said before, this is my first hatch and I am a nervous wreck. I'm trying to be calm but I CAN'T!!!!!!!

barnie.gif

Quote:
You will be fine taking the top off to candle your eggs as long as you dont take a long time to do it. And by all means don't adjust the thermostat just replace the lid when your done and all will be fine, remember this is also a good time to check the water level and if any is needed add warm(not hot nor cold about skin warm) water as to not make the temp. fluctuate too much. Also too, if your using an auto. turner when you candle the eggs you may want to shuffle the eggs a little, like center to the outside and vice/versa, its up to the individual I hand turn my eggs and I constantly move my eggs around as there are usually cooler spots in the incubator.

It's perfectly okay to leave the cover off for a little while as when a broody hen is sitting she has to get off to eat and relieve herself as well. I know how it is for first timers, been a while since my first hatch(eons it seems) but I just coached my brother(biomistake) through his first hatch and he did great. The main thing on artficial incubation is once you get the temp set don't fiddle with the thermostat and always make sure there's water in the reservoir for some humidity. Other than that don't fret too much the little boogers are tough as rawhide and most of the time Mother Nature takes its course in selecting strong survivors.
smile.png

catdaddy

Quote:
You will be fine taking the top off to candle your eggs as long as you dont take a long time to do it. And by all means don't adjust the thermostat just replace the lid when your done and all will be fine, remember this is also a good time to check the water level and if any is needed add warm(not hot nor cold about skin warm) water as to not make the temp. fluctuate too much. Also too, if your using an auto. turner when you candle the eggs you may want to shuffle the eggs a little, like center to the outside and vice/versa, its up to the individual I hand turn my eggs and I constantly move my eggs around as there are usually cooler spots in the incubator.

It's perfectly okay to leave the cover off for a little while as when a broody hen is sitting she has to get off to eat and relieve herself as well. I know how it is for first timers, been a while since my first hatch(eons it seems) but I just coached my brother(biomistake) through his first hatch and he did great. The main thing on artficial incubation is once you get the temp set don't fiddle with the thermostat and always make sure there's water in the reservoir for some humidity. Other than that don't fret too much the little boogers are tough as rawhide and most of the time Mother Nature takes its course in selecting strong survivors.
smile.png

catdaddy

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I've been so excited to hurry and get off of work and get home to candle but at the same time I had just about talked myself out of it. Again, thank you for the re-assurance!!!
hugs.gif
Amy

Oh the baby buttons are precious!! Congratulations to everyone. I am going to candle on Saturday for the first time. Amy, I know you have silkies, let me know how your candling experience goes. I have no idea how to do it, so I am going to try to find some posts on it.
tongue.png
Good lucky everybody who is hatching!

Back
Top Bottom